Premed 101 Forums

VR Flactuating severely

IamIDP

I've been doing passages everyday but I see my score flacuating heavily:

AAMC 4 (Aug 24): I got 5 since I was extremely nervous for doing a FL VR for the first time (score: 19/40).

AAMC 5 (Sept 1): I got a 10 (But I broke it up into 2 parts, did 1st 3 passages in 25min, took a 3 hours break, and did the other 4 passages in 40minutes). It was almost perfect. The next day I did a passage a started scoring perfects or just 1 wrong (score: 30/40)

AAMC 7 (Just now): I just did this and noticed my scores started dropping heavily back to 1/5, 3/6, 2/5 but then I stopped after 3rd passage since I was curious as to how I was doing...(score: 6/16 which is like a 4?)

I'm freaking out since my MCAT is in a few days and my VR score is flactuating between 4-10's, is this normal?

I've been doing passages everyday but I see my score flacuating heavily:

AAMC 4 (Aug 24): I got 5 since I was extremely nervous for doing a FL VR for the first time (score: 19/40).

AAMC 5 (Sept 1): I got a 10 (But I broke it up into 2 parts, did 1st 3 passages in 25min, took a 3 hours break, and did the other 4 passages in 40minutes). It was almost perfect. The next day I did a passage a started scoring perfects or just 1 wrong (score: 30/40)

AAMC 7 (Just now): I just did this and noticed my scores started dropping heavily back to 1/5, 3/6, 2/5 but then I stopped after 3rd passage since I was curious as to how I was doing...(score: 6/16 which is like a 4?)

I'm freaking out since my MCAT is in a few days and my VR score is flactuating between 4-10's, is this normal?

No I do not think this is normal. My VR scores were quite consistent (+/- 1) and my actual VR score was the average of my practice scores.

Such a large deviation is indicative that you might not have a good grasp of the cognitive traits that the verbal is testing. Keep in mind that breaking the test up in the fashion you have mentioned will not give you a correct indication of how you are performing. I am no verbal expert but I can tell you that doing a full test under strict timing conditions is a different beast than doing a couple passages then taking a break. Good luck on your upcoming test and don't stress too much as there is not much you can do at this point.

Its probably because you took the breaks in between. You wont have that on the real one. You need to take the tests in one sitting, and then calculate it. Im sure you will see a big difference. You said your first one was in one sitting and poor and the second one took a few hours and was really good. So its clearly a time issue!

AAMC 5 (Sept 1): I got a 10 (But I broke it up into 2 parts, did 1st 3 passages in 25min, took a 3 hours break, and did the other 4 passages in 40minutes).

Some score fluctuation is normal, but not by such a large range. Your lack of consistency is partially due to taking practice tests under different conditions each time. Breaks are okay if you're just doing passages for learning purposes, but don't expect to get a realistic score from them.

Everybody is different, I personally always took breaks. I think I only did 1 practice test during a single sitting. Typically I did 2-3 passages at a time with breaks in between, such that I was 100% fresh. After completing all 7 passages, there was some heavy diagnosis of the errors. The goal was to understand exactly why I was making mistakes, so I can focus on eliminating them.

Scored 13 on the real thing, 2 points above my average. Adrenaline kept me focused on the real thing, much more so than any practice test.

OP, please review exactly why you are making errors. Simply practicing without understanding why you're making mistakes will yield little results.

I think you guys are right, I've been doing these tests under such different conditions that its very hard for me to judge myself. My AAMC 4, I scored terrible in every section and was overall super nervous out of any tests i've done in my life. For AAMC 5, I was super determined and got the main ideas somehow quickly. Both AAMC's were done right before going to sleep but AAMC 5 I actually wanted to do..

So would you guys reccomend me doing a FL VR everyday for the rest of the week? Right now I have a weird sleeping pattern and am going to sleep between 6-8am and am waking up at around 12-2pm. But I end up doing the AAMC's like 12 hours after I wake up (12am)...is this really a bad indicator of my real VR score? I was thinking that by doing this, I would be getting the lowest possible score on my AAMCs but my real MCAT would always be better due to more sleep and more energy, is this reccomended?

Archived