Premed 101 Forums

PLeaaaaaaaaaaseeeeeeeeeee need help for SGU

RGK

Hi,

I am a Canadian permanent resident. I am planning to go to SGU but I have 2 problems:

Problem 1: if I go to SGU , I will lose my Canadian status as a permanent resident( wouldn't be able to satisfy the residency requirement according to immigration law). I am originally from Egypt. So if I go to SGU I willnot have neither an american or Canadian status. How will this affect my chances of getting a residency position in the US after finishing SGU ? or it doesn't matter ?

I am thinking that if I am a Canadian PR I would have some sort of advantage when applying to US residency. or is that not true?

Problem 2: what do you do after you finish SGU? What is J1 and HB-1? What I am really afraid of is that people told me that is is difficult to get a work permit in USA. Will there be any problem with getting a visa?

Thanks a million.

Very simple advice for you - don't leave Canada and go to medical school abroad - you will almost certainly not get a residency with your situation. Period.

Instead, enroll in a local university program of your choosing, get a high GPA over the next couple of years, write the MCAT, improve your EC's, and apply broadly to medical schools here in Canada. If you are not willing to this, medicine is not for you.

Good luck!

P.S. I'm aware you already have an MD from Egypt - unfortunately makes no difference and going to SGU will not improve your situation in any way. If you want to be a doctor in Canada, you really have to start from square one and apply/repeat medical school here. I have no idea what your GPA is like from Egypt, but I wouldn't be surprised if you'll still need to upgrade courses here in Canada before you'd even be remotely competitive. Sorry to give the bad news, but no point in having your head in the sand.

Do not sacrifice an excellent chance at getting Canadian citizenship for the off-chance of getting into a US residency program. If you do this, you'll most likely end up back in Egypt with two medical degrees.

I doubt you being a Canadian PR will have any impact on you getting into a US residency, but it has plenty of other benefits.

• 2 weeks later...
Very simple advice for you - don't leave Canada and go to medical school abroad - you will almost certainly not get a residency with your situation. Period.

Instead, enroll in a local university program of your choosing, get a high GPA over the next couple of years, write the MCAT, improve your EC's, and apply broadly to medical schools here in Canada. If you are not willing to this, medicine is not for you.

Good luck!

P.S. I'm aware you already have an MD from Egypt - unfortunately makes no difference and going to SGU will not improve your situation in any way. If you want to be a doctor in Canada, you really have to start from square one and apply/repeat medical school here. I have no idea what your GPA is like from Egypt, but I wouldn't be surprised if you'll still need to upgrade courses here in Canada before you'd even be remotely competitive. Sorry to give the bad news, but no point in having your head in the sand.

No you do not have to start over again. With an MD in your pocket, hit the books and pass the qualifying exam. Then apply to carms for a residency. Even though competitive, your chances are much better now of getting a residency than when I first did mine about 10 years ago. Get the qualifying and possible MCCE1.Make sure to also get some Canadian experiance by volunteering or working in physician offices. You can get a reference from them which helps with Carms. It is a hard road but not impossible.

Archived