Premed 101 Forums

Research problems.

peace2012

Hi, I have problems finding a research position. I have emailed a few profs for research volunteer opportunities but they usually do not reply. My email in my opinion is pretty good, and it is customized to each professor. My grades are decent (3.8-3.9 OMSAS range, but not spetacular). All my grades are in the As except organic chemistries (and all the research positions I applied are not chemistry positions), does anyone have advice on how to make the profs respond? thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Show up at their office, or approach them after class. There's no substitute for face time with people.

Just remember that not every prof is looking for honours students each year. They may be taking a sabbatical, they may have too many graduate students at the moment, they might not have a project that's suitable for an undergrad.

If you email them, there's a good chance they'll just ignore your email even if you've written something perfectly. They can't ignore you if you show up in person - and if they do, you don't want to be supervised by them anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
Show up at their office, or approach them after class. There's no substitute for face time with people.

+1

Emails are easy to ignore and delete. It's more difficult to get rid of people in front of you. Don't be overbearing but display interest and things may work.

Archived