Premed 101 Forums

Re-taking MCAT, how to strengthen verbal in ~8 months

loodogg

Hey everyone, I am in my last year of my second undergrad, and as the title says, I will have to re-do the mcat this coming summer due to a low VR score. I scored well in BS and PS, but I got an 8 in verbal which is unfortunately too low for the purpose of applying to Canadian schools, especially as someone who is relying on second undergrad friendly schools. I have about 8 months before I'd like to write again, anyone been through any similar situations or have any advice as to how I can go about improving my score over this period?

During my attempt last summer, I spent about 50% of my study time working on verbal. I honestly felt prepared to write and felt good walking out of the exam, but much to my dismay I scored an 8. So I am really in need of ways to raise that score over these next 8 months, because without scoring higher on verbal, I will have basically wasted my time doing this second undergrad.

Hey everyone, I am in my last year of my second undergrad, and as the title says, I will have to re-do the mcat this coming summer due to a low VR score. I scored well in BS and PS, but I got an 8 in verbal which is unfortunately too low for the purpose of applying to Canadian schools, especially as someone who is relying on second undergrad friendly schools. I have about 8 months before I'd like to write again, anyone been through any similar situations or have any advice as to how I can go about improving my score over this period?

During my attempt last summer, I spent about 50% of my study time working on verbal. I honestly felt prepared to write and felt good walking out of the exam, but much to my dismay I scored an 8. So I am really in need of ways to raise that score over these next 8 months, because without scoring higher on verbal, I will have basically wasted my time doing this second undergrad.

Have a look here:

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85327

What did you use to prepare? 8 months is a good amount of time to boost your score.

Have a look here:

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85327

What did you use to prepare? 8 months is a good amount of time to boost your score.

Thanks, I actually read that link earlier today before I posted, it was helpful.

The material that I used to study when I scored the 8 were the ek101 VR book (I did not follow their strategy, only completed the practice tests), and the princeton review hyper learning verbal workbook; also all AAMC practice tests as well, I guess they should be considered verbal practice too.

Thanks, I actually read that link earlier today before I posted, it was helpful.

The material that I used to study when I scored the 8 were the ek101 VR book (I did not follow their strategy, only completed the practice tests), and the princeton review hyper learning verbal workbook; also all AAMC practice tests as well, I guess they should be considered verbal practice too.

It may be best to try out with EK's method and also the points in the link. You could re-use the existing materials you have, however, not for scoring purposes. It will only be for practising the techniques. Try to look for other practice materials as well from other prep companies. There's the Gold Standard, and also TBR which is isn't as good, but still decent if you can get your hands on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Also keep in mind that sometimes verbal requires a bit of luck too. Obviously you want to try and improve as much as you can, but if your goal isn't too far away from 8 then it may just take a few more rewrites. I got 9 on my first MCAT and wanted double digits so I rewrote twice and got the 10.

Archived