Premed 101 Forums

Do you think the 2015 MCAT will give those who write it an advantage?

Depression

With the addition of the new psychology and sociology sections, do you think that those who write the new MCAT will have an advantage ( as in universities will be less lenient toward the MCAT for admission)? I mean, since there are no previous statistics to base average MCAT scores in those categories?

What do you guys think? :)

I don't think it's going to be as easy as you are thinking. Let's assume it's scored in the exact same way; this doesn't mean that if you have 8's across the board you're guaranteed a spot. They still have a percentile marking and the schools still know what they're looking for. There may be a small leniency with perhaps getting in with a 10 instead of an 11, but I wouldn't expect a whole lot more than that.

I don't think it's going to be as easy as you are thinking. Let's assume it's scored in the exact same way; this doesn't mean that if you have 8's across the board you're guaranteed a spot. They still have a percentile marking and the schools still know what they're looking for. There may be a small leniency with perhaps getting in with a 10 instead of an 11, but I wouldn't expect a whole lot more than that.

Sorry, didn't mean to make it sound like I thought it was easy. Just wondering how dramatic of a change it would make for applications. :)

It won't change anything really. A school like UofT gets ~3000 applicants. Each of these applicants will submit their test scores and the school will then decide, based on how the scores are distributed, what constitutes a competitive score.

The actual number value of your MCAT is quite meaningless by itself. Its only when your score is compared to someone else's score that it becomes a useful measure of performance. Conveniently for the medical schools, there are 2999 other scores to compare yours to :)

With the addition of the new psychology and sociology sections, do you think that those who write the new MCAT will have an advantage ( as in universities will be less lenient toward the MCAT for admission)? I mean, since there are no previous statistics to base average MCAT scores in those categories?

What do you guys think? :)

I'll let you decide, here are the advantages and disadvantages of writing in 2015:

Advantages

-Western and Queens heavy cutoffs will be "reset" (HUGE advantage as western gives an interview to anyone who meets the cutoffs)

-More time per given question than current MCAT (about 7-10% more time to make up for the length)

-Everyone is less prepared and so you have higher chance of doing well if you study well

-Writing in 2014 cycle you will be competing with EVERYONE with everyone giving 100% and therefore chances of scoring well is against you since MCAT scoring is based on how everyone else does

-You write in 2014, you will HAVE to get in within 1-2 cycles as Med schools will not accept older version for too longer...

-AAMC (company which makes and admissions the MCAT) will give out the list of material you need to know for the 2015 MCAT including all the subject areas in all sections

Disadvantage

-Longer

-No MCAT Prep courses to help out (which doesn't really matter since they are useless in my opinion and from my experience with TPR)

- People claim its tougher based on trial sections but keep in mind no one studied for the trial section)

-Psychology and sociology sections (which are either give or take)

I'll let you decide, here are the advantages and disadvantages of writing in 2015:

-Everyone is less prepared and so you have higher chance of doing well if you study well

Uh, how does that work? Why would people be any more or less prepared than you? Everyone knows the same amount about what's on it.

-Writing in 2014 cycle you will be competing with EVERYONE with everyone giving 100% and therefore chances of scoring well is against you since MCAT scoring is based on how everyone else does

The mcat will STILL be based on how everyone else does.

-AAMC (company which makes and admissions the MCAT) will give out the list of material you need to know for the 2015 MCAT including all the subject areas in all sections.

They do that right now.

Disadvantage

-No MCAT Prep courses to help out (which doesn't really matter since they are useless in my opinion and from my experience with TPR)

- People claim its tougher based on trial sections but keep in mind no one studied for the trial section)

So, how would one study for the new MCAT? Are the books for biology, organic and the previous prep books all useless now?

Has the AAMC never given out a detailed list of what to study for before the 2015 MCAT?

Nothing beyond what they mentioned in the link below.

And quote, "In 2014, the AAMC will release a full-length practice test. The practice test will mirror the actual exam, thereby offering you the opportunity to familiarize yourself with the exam’s interface and functionality. And sample test questions will be just like those you’ll see on the new MCAT exam."

Guess we won't know till then. :(

https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/mcat2015/testsections/

Advantages

-Western and Queens heavy cutoffs will be "reset" (HUGE advantage as western gives an interview to anyone who meets the cutoffs)

-More time per given question than current MCAT (about 7-10% more time to make up for the length)

-You write in 2014, you will HAVE to get in within 1-2 cycles as Med schools will not accept older version for too longer...

-AAMC (company which makes and admissions the MCAT) will give out the list of material you need to know for the 2015 MCAT including all the subject areas in all sections

Disadvantage

-Longer

I have to partially disagree with the cutoffs. Most people don't make Western because of the verbal cutoff, and that section seems to be the most consistent with the current MCAT. I'm predicting the same verbal cutoff, but can't say anything about the others.

It seems none of you even understand how the MCAT works. It is scaled so that a normal distribution of scores is acquired. they determined what the scale would be based on the scores of 2013-2014 writers of the trial section. All schools like western need to do is set the critical analysis section at 11 and 90% of potential applicants are still cut off. Its not like everyone will be getting 15's for the first year.

Advantages

Disadvantage

-Longer

You're not understanding how cutoffs work. Western didn't pick 11 out of a hat and decide that it would use 11, neither did Queen's. What they do is take a look at all 3000 applicants and pick a verbal / composite score that will eliminate 2600 of them. If in a specific year it happens to be an 8, 9, 10, or 11 depends how competitive the pool is but you will ALWAYS have to be in the top 500 or however many they interview individuals.

With the new MCAT it will like be the same score requirement as they probably pick 11 to represent the 8X%ile. On the new MCAT 11 will also represent the 8X%ile.

The biggest disadvantage is that there is now one more cutoff (the new setcion) that may disqualify you. Also why do you think no-one else will be studying? Just because it's new it doesn't mean you can somehow prepare better than everyone else just because. There WILL be courses for the new MCAT so don't discount those.

Also your theory about 1-2 years is complete BS. When the new SAT came out (and the last time the MCAT changed, which was around '06) schools kept accepting it for however long they always accepted it for. For US schools that number is generally 3 years.

Please don't give advice if you don't understand what you are talking about, it's just misleading.

You're not understanding how cutoffs work. Western didn't pick 11 out of a hat and decide that it would use 11, neither did Queen's. What they do is take a look at all 3000 applicants and pick a verbal / composite score that will eliminate 2600 of them. If in a specific year it happens to be an 8, 9, 10, or 11 depends how competitive the pool is but you will ALWAYS have to be in the top 500 or however many they interview individuals.

With the new MCAT it will like be the same score requirement as they probably pick 11 to represent the 8X%ile. On the new MCAT 11 will also represent the 8X%ile.

The biggest disadvantage is that there is now one more cutoff (the new setcion) that may disqualify you. Also why do you think no-one else will be studying? Just because it's new it doesn't mean you can somehow prepare better than everyone else just because. There WILL be courses for the new MCAT so don't discount those.

Also your theory about 1-2 years is complete BS. When the new SAT came out (and the last time the MCAT changed, which was around '06) schools kept accepting it for however long they always accepted it for. For US schools that number is generally 3 years.

Please don't give advice if you don't understand what you are talking about, it's just misleading.

1. That's true but when I said "Reset" as in changing the MCAT cutoffs by accounting for the new section. By adding a new section, the cutoffs for the other sections would theoretically either decrease or remain the same by accounting for stricter cutoffs. If you don't understand what i'm trying to say, use your intuition.... it's common sense that they can't simply add a new section and still have the same cutoffs, its highly unlikely.

2. Your "80%th" thoery is completely false. Last time I checked 9 in PS (western's cutoff for physical section) was no where near the 80th percentile. Each section for Western's MCAT cutoffs are in different percentile ranges relative to the other sections. Don't give out info if you don't know what you're talking about.

3. I do think people will be studying BUT more people will find it more difficult where to start because of the lack of new MCAT materials. Even if TPR and Kaplan and other companies come out with new material, their books will not be accurate until the actual 2015 MCAT is available for the first time. These companies are not associated with the AAMC in any way or form! And their sole goal is the make money off you.

4. THIS IS NOT THE SAT, THIS IS THE MCAT. The MCAT is more important as it trains our future physicians and regulates the quality of our doctors. And last time I checked the company that makes the MCAT (aamc) has nothing to do with SATS. So I don't know where you are pulling out random stuff trying to disprove me, come up with better arguements buddy.

1. That's true but when I said "Reset" as in changing the MCAT cutoffs by accounting for the new section. By adding a new section, the cutoffs for the other sections would theoretically either decrease or remain the same by accounting for stricter cutoffs. If you don't understand what i'm trying to say, use your intuition.... it's common sense that they can't simply add a new section and still have the same cutoffs, its highly unlikely.

2. Your "80%th" thoery is completely false. Last time I checked 9 in PS (western's cutoff for physical section) was no where near the 80th percentile. Each section for Western's MCAT cutoffs are in different percentile ranges relative to the other sections. Don't give out info if you don't know what you're talking about.

3. I do think people will be studying BUT more people will find it more difficult where to start because of the lack of new MCAT materials. Even if TPR and Kaplan and other companies come out with new material, their books will not be accurate until the actual 2015 MCAT is available for the first time. These companies are not associated with the AAMC in any way or form! And their sole goal is the make money off you.

4. THIS IS NOT THE SAT, THIS IS THE MCAT. The MCAT is more important as it trains our future physicians and regulates the quality of our doctors. And last time I checked the company that makes the MCAT (aamc) has nothing to do with SATS. So I don't know where you are pulling out random stuff trying to disprove me, come up with better arguements buddy.

1.It's very likely that the percentile cutoff will stay the same, thinking it will change is very unlikely.

2. 80th percentile is in reference to an 11 verbal. Highest cutoff indicates what they're trying to achieve. Use your intuition here.

3. MCAT will be releasing TWO full length practice tests that the companies will use as well as a study guide. Why will it be more difficult for others and not for you? If anything you will find 2015 hard because you too will also not know where to start. For the current MCAT everything other than AAMC 10 and 11 are not useful either. 10, 11 are at best marginally useful themselves if only for the verbal section.

4. MCAT changed in 2006 and was honored for several years.

I believe people who have taken undergraduate courses in intro psych, social psych, or sociology will have quite a big advantage on the new mcat compared to science majors who did not take those courses. This is assuming the majority of mcat takers are science majors. Psychology/sociology are such broad fields, one would essentially have to memorize and understand a whole textbook or two from scratch in one summer if he or she has no background in those topics. This is EXTREMELY time consuming, and as social psychology principles predict, they'll underestimate how long it'll actually take them to learn the stuff, and end up defaulting on this section and focusing on the others. Thus, people with backgrounds in these topics will likely have a higher chance of scoring a higher %tile.

Although you can say the same thing about science majors studying for verbal, reading comprehension is a skill that we already have and it's something we just need to refine for the VR. You can't look at psych and sociology in the same way, "common sense" won't get you anywhere. Contrary to popular belief, common sense will not allow you to predict experimental outcomes and it won't allow you to predict what will likely happen in a social situation. Anyone who has taken a psych course has probably heard their prof say a thousand times that psych is a science based on empirical evidence and theories. You'll actually have to learn the stuff from a textbook, just like bio. That being said, for science majors who have not had any exposure to psych/social psych/sociology, for them to learn the stuff in a few months is akin to an arts major who has never taken intro bio trying to learn a years worth of alien material in one summer, from a textbook.

1.It's very likely that the percentile cutoff will stay the same, thinking it will change is very unlikely.

2. 80th percentile is in reference to an 11 verbal. Highest cutoff indicates what they're trying to achieve. Use your intuition here.

3. MCAT will be releasing TWO full length practice tests that the companies will use as well as a study guide. Why will it be more difficult for others and not for you? If anything you will find 2015 hard because you too will also not know where to start. For the current MCAT everything other than AAMC 10 and 11 are not useful either. 10, 11 are at best marginally useful themselves if only for the verbal section.

4. MCAT changed in 2006 and was honored for several years.

Fair enough.

But you're arguement for point #1, only time will tell...

Archived