Premed 101 Forums

List canmed roles?

Should I list the canmed roles like what I would do for U of T ABS?

eg. before beginning my top 10 maybe I say: Professional, Collaborator.

The only problem is each of my activities have a lot of canmed roles in them so listing them will waste a lot of space. I don't have a single activity that only has one canmed role.

That's fine but it might almost limit your evaluation. They will be inclined to grade each experience based on the roles you highlight, whereas if you don't, they may consider more roles. Just my opinion though.

I agree. It's definitely a personal choice, but I feel like they (admissions committees) would prefer that you let them come to their own conclusions about your abilities instead of shouting your canmeds competencies at them. There is a way to write about an experience that is more like 'showing' than 'telling', which I personally prefer. Now, that's not to say that adding the specific competencies into your top ten is a bad way to do it, it just wasn't my choice. You have to pick what you feel most comfortable with and go with that, of course! :)

I agree. It's definitely a personal choice, but I feel like they (admissions committees) would prefer that you let them come to their own conclusions about your abilities instead of shouting your canmeds competencies at them. There is a way to write about an experience that is more like 'showing' than 'telling', which I personally prefer. Now, that's not to say that adding the specific competencies into your top ten is a bad way to do it, it just wasn't my choice. You have to pick what you feel most comfortable with and go with that, of course! :)

That's a good point. Plus if your listed Canmeds role differs from how the reviewer reads your experience, it may send a conflicting message. (e.g. listing "collaboration" and then speaking only of "communications".

I used the Canmed roles as my template when drafting and even on occasion referred to things like collaboration in the paragraphs themselves, but I didn't use them as opening titles. But that's just my experience. ;)

I used the Canmed roles as my template when drafting and even on occasion referred to things like collaboration in the paragraphs themselves...

I'm of the same opinion. They are looking for excitement in your 'voice' and an honest indication that you really learned 'things' about, pertaining to, and around canmeds. Referring to them directly almost feels rotomontade. My complete guess is that the committee members get really bored of sorting through all the same careful language and are a little shocked when they see some honest voice going into describing an experience. They may look harder for the roles when that happens.

Archived