Premed 101 Forums

References from Lab

walkhome071590

Hey guys, for those who have worked in a research lab and got a reference out of that experience, do you normally get a reference letter from the Principal Investigator of that lab, or the the post-doc who actually supervised you during your stay there?

I'm working in a lab now and my post-doc who normally watches over me mentioned he was sure that the PI of the lab would give me a good recommendation letter if I wanted one, but I had initially assumed my post-doc would provide the letter since he actually knows me and my work far better than the PI who isn't around too much.

Hey guys, for those who have worked in a research lab and got a reference out of that experience, do you normally get a reference letter from the Principal Investigator of that lab, or the the post-doc who actually supervised you during your stay there?

I'm working in a lab now and my post-doc who normally watches over me mentioned he was sure that the PI of the lab would give me a good recommendation letter if I wanted one, but I had initially assumed my post-doc would provide the letter since he actually knows me and my work far better than the PI who isn't around too much.

Get the letter from the PI. The postdoc can provide the PI with input and specific examples.

Guest LeCreuset
Hi Peachaso, thanks for the response. Is this standard procedure to get a reference from the PI while the post-doc provides the actual details regarding the ability of the student (me)?

In that case, do I email the PI to ask for a reference letter directly, or do i contact the post-doc first?

To answer #1, yes. The PI will ask the post-doc or any grad student you worked with, they may even ask the post-doc to write the letter and the PI will sign his name on the letter/edit it. That's actually how it usually happens.

Contact your PI directly.

Archived