Premed 101 Forums

CCFP EM Interviews

fmresident

So I got this response from a school (details removed):

We were impressed with your application which clearly points to a number of strengths, and we feel confident that you would do well in our residency program.

Due to our very tight interviewing schedule, we are unable to grant you an interview at this time. However, should an opening become available, we will contact you within the next 7 days. Please note that your application will still be ranked at the <university> as we feel you will do very well in our program.

Is this common? Strange? Normal? A polite way of saying you're good, but not good enough?

I always thought no interview means you're out of contention. It seems unlikely that all the residents being interviewed either don't match, or match to another program, so that it comes down to me...

I'm not even sure how many received this email.

Is this common? Strange? Normal? A polite way of saying you're good, but not good enough?

I always thought no interview means you're out of contention. It seems unlikely that all the residents being interviewed either don't match, or match to another program, so that it comes down to me...

got the same email from that school. I think it`s a generic email for people who didn`t get an interview...

Seems like it`s a pretty competitive year for fm/em...

got the same email from that school. I think it`s a generic email for people who didn`t get an interview...

Seems like it`s a pretty competitive year for fm/em...

Haven't heard of any flat out rejections from that school, sounds like it's either an interview invite or that email.

All the schools I have heard of people getting responses from so far, good or bad:

UBC, Calgary, NOSM, UWO, McMaster, Queens, Ottawa, McGill, Memorial

Damn, and I thought it meant I was SO good that I didn't need an interview!

Maybe they had trouble filling all of their spots in past years, so they just rank everyone?

Yea, seems very competitive this year. Not all the schools mentioned numbers, but Western said they received 114 applications.

Unfortunately it's just a fairly gracious rejection email. It's usually worth checking in with them later to see if a spot does open up and/or appeal this. Sometimes it works out!

Yea, seems very competitive this year. Not all the schools mentioned numbers, but Western said they received 114 applications.

Apparently MUN received about 75 applications for 4 spots, including 9 from MUN family residents.

Running list

UBC

Calgary

NOSM

UWO

McMaster

Queens

Ottawa

McGill

Memorial

Saskatchewan - both sites

UofA

Manitoba

I suspect/know some schools have "held on" to rejection emails until they confirm their interview numbers. (E.g. Western, Calgary).

Also I've heard from the grapevine that it's very competitive this year, e.g. more than twice the usual number of UofT applicants.

Having said that, I think it's still true that those who are qualified and who applied broadly will get in somewhere.

Has anyone heard back from MUN about interview times? I'm trying to set up flight and accommodation for the interview soon, since there are only limited tickets left... I've tried emailing and calling the administrator, but she hasn't responded back. Anyone heard back, or know roughly the time agenda for the interview date?

Archived