Premed 101 Forums

I hate studying pharmacy/medicine

Thelostclock

After I graduated from high school, I planned to finish the pharmacy program and apply for medicine. I didn't just want to be a medical doctor. I wanted to be one of the best medical doctors in Canada.

So here I am now, 4 years later, in my third year pharmacy. I regret my decision everyday. The biggest disappointment I've been having while studying pharmacy for three years is that there is really no such thing as cure. I don't mean this in a small way. I mean it in a big way.

Besides antibiotics, I see all drugs as merely painkillers and used for postponing death. I cannot think of one drug that can actually get rid of disease. You name it: asthma, COPD, cirrhosis, clinical depression, bipolar disorders, allergic rhinitis, neuropathy, hypertension, epilepsy, multiple sclerosis, diabetes.. etc. As a matter of fact, some drugs seem to worsen some patients' condition and not actually improve.

I find it frustrating, embarrassing, and sad to see these patients suffer and I cannot do god darn ******* thing to get rid of the disease. There is a huge limitation of what drugs can do. Probably this is the reason why I am reluctant to tell others that I study pharmacy.

And those adverse effects associated with drugs. It sickens not only the patients, but me as well. I mean death is ultimately something that we want to postpone but what about the quality of these people's lives?

I am certain that I will finish my program, but if I can go back in time, I wouldn't make the same decision. I thought pharmacy/medicine would be something that I would enjoy studying and practising for the rest of my life. It clearly is not the case.

Good salary and job stability. Yeah.. but yolo my fellow pre-pharms and pharmacy students. You don't choose your career based on how much you get paid. You choose your career based on how much YOU are willing to pay to do that work.

Sad.. frustrated.. tonight I guess I am going to pull all nighter for tomorrow's exam.

Hey yo.

I got into med after pharmacy. I also kinda figured that if I can make it into med after pharmacy, I thought I'd be one of the better doctors... so I guess we have some similarities. I appreciate your view of medicine, but things are not that bleak. There's cure for many diseases. We just don't see them much... because we cured them. Also, we have vaccinated people against certain things or we successfully eradicated the disease. When you work in pharmacy, yes, most things you will see are chronic disease patients, so you might feel that way. On the other hand, if you go on medical missions abroad or somehow shadow ER or gen surgery (acute care setting), you will see the other side of things.

Anyhoo, meds are not the only thing we dispense. We dispense love as well :) And that really matters.

Hey yo.

I got into med after pharmacy. I also kinda figured that if I can make it into med after pharmacy, I thought I'd be one of the better doctors... so I guess we have some similarities. I appreciate your view of medicine, but things are not that bleak. There's cure for many diseases. We just don't see them much... because we cured them. Also, we have vaccinated people against certain things or we successfully eradicated the disease. When you work in pharmacy, yes, most things you will see are chronic disease patients, so you might feel that way. On the other hand, if you go on medical missions abroad or somehow shadow ER or gen surgery (acute care setting), you will see the other side of things.

Anyhoo, meds are not the only thing we dispense. We dispense love as well :) And that really matters.

Amen to that.

Archived