Premed 101 Forums

Question about switching residencies

No idea what section to post this under, so hopefully this works.

I'm a 4th year medical student, and am nearing the deadline for residency applications. I've considered a lot of different specialties during 3rd and 4th year, and seemed to have settled on applying to anesthesia. I like the mix of OR work and knowledge of physiology and medications. I've scheduled and completed a lot of electives in anesthesia at various institutions, and even done research in the field. Just like everything there have been good and bad times, but overall it's been a specialty that I've enjoyed more than others.

Lately however, I've been involved in some very cool plastics and ENT cases (on the anesthesia side of things), and can't help wondering, when staring over the drape, whether I should have explored these specialties more than I had (I did a bit of ortho, but decided it wasn't my thing); not necessarily looking to do ENT/plastics specifically, but really questioning whether I would better enjoy a life in surgery overall. I do enjoy working with my hands, and I liked the creative freedom they provide.

So now, with residency application deadlines soon approaching, I'm panicking a bit, wondering whether I would be more happier doing a surgical specialty, or if anesthesia is truly the right fit for me. I guess I'm not looking for an answer per se, but was wondering if any other current residents or prospective fellow med students have experienced the same feelings, and how they reconciled them (not necessarily for anesthesia!). I know it's hard to switch residencies during your PGY1 year, but is it really unrealistic? Any input would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

It was my very first rotation of clerkship, so obviously the knowledge and skills weren't quite there to truly appreciate everything. I was initially put off by the extremely early hours and long days, but have come to realize that this is common with a lot of different specialties, and ultimately things improve as an attending (I don't mind toughing it out for 5 years). I enjoyed the consults, clinics, and OR's, but didn't really have anything to compare to at the time. I still don't think gen surg is quite my thing, but certain surgical subspecialties may be. I'm concerned that I may have wrote off all of surgery prematurely

Have you done rotations in subspecialty surgery in fourth year, or are they still upcoming? You will also have surgical rotations during your PGY1 that you can use for more soul-searching / opportunities to ask the questions you need to - it sounds like you need to better determine if you really want the surgical life before you think of switching. My feeling is that general surgery is likely to have more in common with the surgical subspecialties than anesthesia will with any of them, but others can better speak to this.

Stay with gas, my friend.

Also know that if you truly want to get experience in surgery, you will once you start residency; gen surg will be a mandatory rotation for you in your PGY1 year. You'll then realize that you've made the right choice in doing anesthesia and will be happy behind the drape at the airway end of things.

Don't screw up what you've set up so far for CARMS by backtracking to do more surgery rotations. 4th year is not the time to explore. It's the time to apply. Doing otherwise will lower your chances of matching, and if there's one thing that's true, its that 2nd round matchers are essentially barred from switching.

Thank me in five years.

Brooksbane speaks the truth. Anesthesia is a good gig. There are only a few "golden" specialties out there that have a mix of interesting work, good reimbursement, decent lifestyle, and non-horrible job prospects. Anesthesia is one of the few on this list. There is an excellent chance that you will want stay on your side of the drape post-PGY1. Hold tight, stay the course.

Archived