Premed 101 Forums

Electives question

Hey guys, I just had a quick question.

Most elective places say you have to book a minimum of 4 months, but no more than 9 months in advance for an elective (and even then its not guaranteed). I was just wondering how long after booking do schools tell visiting students that they've secured (or not secured) that elective?

I'm guessing competitive specialties you got to really book around 9 months in advance, but what about something like IM (or is it school dependent)?

Thanks!

Places like Toronto and Mac will fill up their CTU spots fast so I would recommend applying as early as you can for those. Schools like Ottawa and Western take forever to get back to you but none of my friends had trouble getting an IM elective there - I would recommend maybe double-booking another elective at the same time as your Ottawa or Western ones just because they are a bit last minute in replying and then you'll be screwed over scrambling to find an elective on short notice.

Generally, there are more than enough electives to go around in IM. You also dot need to just do CTU, you can do sub specialties you think you might be interested in.. Or would just be useful like ID, cardio, ICU, etc

(or is it school dependent)?

Thanks!

Reply rates from one school can vary wildly depending on specialty. It's often actually more department dependent since they're the ones that do the approving. If you're having trouble booking an elective at somewhere you really, really want to visit, it can be worth calling the department and begging nicely...a few people in my class definitely snuck bookings in that way.

You would be amazed what a phone call can do. Just don't be a pain when you call. That can just as easily sink you.

As a CC4 calling a department saved my butt on getting an elective I wanted. If you are a keen and interested student it is in a department's interest to get you an elective. Calling can sometimes open doors.

Thanks for the replies guys

The reason I ask is because I want to choose a rotation schedule, and I'm still trying to decide between two specialties (IM and EM). I don't want these too early as it'll be hard to impress, but I also don't want them too late because I have to start booking electives and may not have done the rotation. Is it safe to say as long as I don't START with them and the earliest one of them could be is ~12 weeks into clerkship would that be a happy balance??

Archived