Premed 101 Forums

Countdown to interview decisions!

I'm not saying that Undergrad GPA is more important than how you do in medical school but it is obviously an important criteria to consider in applicants to medicine. For example, when starting an undergraduate degree in science most of the students are "pre-med". however they quickly realize that they are not willing to put in the hours to get the grades necessary to get in. I have seen this with many of my friends who would likely make good doctors. But if you want it enough you will put in the time and effort to get the GPA. Let's be honest getting good grades isnt about how smart you are (however being a natural critical thinker can help) it is about how much effort and sacrifice you are willing to put in. I have spent countless all nighters cramming in order to get the grades I need and my friends who are also "pre-med" don't put in the same amount of effort and don't get the grades. Its not about being a great Crammer. We all forget things in time, hell if I tried to write an exam from some of my previous courses, I would probably do horribly on some of them (75%, JK don't **** your pants).

I am not trying to be cocky or arrogant about this but in my opinion if you want to get into medicine badly enough you will put in the time and effort to get the grades. I feel that if you have a 75% GPA you have not put in the effort and you are not truly devoted to becoming a doctor. Obviously this is a huge generalization but in most cases I believe this is the case. Some of the best doctors may be the ones who have a 75% GPA but if we don't use GPA as a criteria I think that the whole thing becomes really wishy washy.

I understand the point you are trying to make but I don't believe that getting a 75% GPA in your undergrad means that you didn't put in the effort or devote your time to becoming a doctor. A person could have a lower GPA because they did terribly in their first couple years of undergrad due to illness, family troubles, poor study habits, taking on too much, etc. Then do super well their last couple of years but unfortunately the first year or two will still reflect heavily on the GPA. Moreover, like I said before, showing that you are devoted doctor will mostly be reflected by your effort in medical school/ residency. You can not compare what is required for your undergrad to the workload, stress, and attention to detail you need in medical school and residency. I know that your undergrad is important but it is barely 30% of your whole journey to becoming a licensed practitioner.

I'm so happy that it looks like UBC is emphasizing NAQ a bit more this year because they are starting to see that even people with 75's have something to offer.

So I guess we can agree to disagree.

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is really no point in discussing who does/doesnot, should/should not get in. We are all stressed about getting invite/rejection- why don't we just wait for that :/

Good luck everyone :):)

Haha exactly. There's no point really. At the end of day, regardless of what we think or whether we agree/disagree, we all have to play the game. No point arguing over things we have little to no control over...(although it would make for a great debate one day!)

I understand the point you are trying to make but I don't believe that getting a 75% GPA in your undergrad means that you didn't put in the effort or devote your time to becoming a doctor. A person could have a lower GPA because they did terribly in their first couple years of undergrad due to illness, family troubles, poor study habits, taking on too much, etc. Then do super well their last couple of years but unfortunately the first year or two will still reflect heavily on the GPA. Moreover, like I said before, showing that you are devoted doctor will mostly be reflected by your effort in medical school/ residency. You can not compare what is required for your undergrad to the workload, stress, and attention to detail you need in medical school and residency. I know that your undergrad is important but it is barely 30% of your whole journey to becoming a licensed practitioner.

I'm so happy that it looks like UBC is emphasizing NAQ a bit more this year because they are starting to see that even people with 75's have something to offer.

So I guess we can agree to disagree.

Well said, I agree that GPA should only be a part of the admission process and I am also glad that NAQ appears to have more weight this time around. I believe applicants with 75s may have a lot to offer to medicine; However, I still believe that medical schools have to be sure that these applicants can handle the rigours of medical school and residency and obviously the last 60 credits, MCAT or other parts of their application may demonstrate that. But in my opinion if I was gonna gamble on an applicant, I would want to know there GPA and that would be a major deciding factor on my decision on whether to admit them or not.

Haha exactly. There's no point really. At the end of day, regardless of what we think or whether we agree/disagree, we all have to play the game. No point arguing over things we have little to no control over...(although it would make for a great debate one day!)

Haha this is true! I'm always up for a good debate but I guess I should make another thread titled "debating about issues pertaining to medical school admission". :P

lol UBC's ambiguity is pinning us against each other!

Are any of you applying to other canadian schools? or schools abroad?

It's turning into the hunger games, pre-medical school edition!

I actually applied to SABA and Queensland, and got into both. I'm currently waiting to hear back from U of M and UBC.

It's turning into the hunger games, pre-medical school edition!

I actually applied to SABA and Queensland, and got into both. I'm currently waiting to hear back from U of M and UBC.

Ah interesting, I have friends doing medicine in Australia. Would be nice to escape the cold, if only for a couple years. Never heard of SABA before, but looks like an interesting school. Don't the southern hemisphere schools start in february? are you planning on starting at one of those schools and then transferring if accepted at U of M or UBC?

Ah interesting, I have friends doing medicine in Australia. Would be nice to escape the cold, if only for a couple years. Never heard of SABA before, but looks like an interesting school. Don't the southern hemisphere schools start in february? are you planning on starting at one of those schools and then transferring if accepted at U of M or UBC?

Australia starts in January but SABA doesn't start till September. I'm just hoping to get into a Canadian school. Going international is really the last resort. However, I know 5 people in my area that went to SABA and had no problem coming back to Canada. They are either doing their residency or practicing in Canada right now.

If I were to go abroad, I think it is possible to transfer to a Canadian school but it is very unlikely. However, after two years in SABA you get to come back to Canada to do your clinical rotations which is pretty cool.

Hey everyone,

Sorry to bump this thread, but I just logged in to OAS to check my 2012-13 scores again, and it's super weird but they changed?!?!

I was invited for interview last year and remember being just above the cut-off (like 62.5 or something). Anyways, this is what is says now:

AQ Score 29.15

NAQ Total 24

TFR Score 53.41

(Those number aren't even added properly)

I don't know what is going on! Has this happened to anyone else?

Hey everyone,

Sorry to bump this thread, but I just logged in to OAS to check my 2012-13 scores again, and it's super weird but they changed?!?!

I was invited for interview last year and remember being just above the cut-off (like 62.5 or something). Anyways, this is what is says now:

AQ Score 29.15

NAQ Total 24

TFR Score 53.41

Looks like they are updating previous years results to match the new scoring scale.

Don't panic bro. It doesn't mean anything. No one knows what the cut off with the new scoring will be. It might even mean your application is more competitive with the new score, although the absolute score has changed.

The only thing to so is let it be and wait to hear about the interview decisions.

Hey everyone,

AQ Score 29.15

NAQ Total 24

TFR Score 53.41

So it seems like AQ scores have stayed the same but the criteria for NAQ have changed!

Archived