Premed 101 Forums

Countdown to interview decisions!

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not trying to be cocky or arrogant about this but in my opinion if you want to get into medicine badly enough you will put in the time and effort to get the grades. I feel that if you have a 75% GPA you have not put in the effort and you are not truly devoted to becoming a doctor. Obviously this is a huge generalization but in most cases I believe this is the case. Some of the best doctors may be the ones who have a 75% GPA but if we don't use GPA as a criteria I think that the whole thing becomes really wishy washy.

I just have to say, as someone with only a 80% GPA, that you can't judge every applicant this way. I have a 42% average from one year (it gets dropped by UBC), but a bunch of other years with 60-ish percents from way back in 1999 or so. It has taken me YEARS of very hard work to get to the 80% level. I've had to work 5x as hard as a person starting with a blank slate. If you're looking for hard work and dedication, you will not see it demonstrated by the straight GPA number, at least not with me.

I just have to say, as someone with only a 80% GPA, that you can't judge every applicant this way. I have a 42% average from one year (it gets dropped by UBC), but a bunch of other years with 60-ish percents from way back in 1999 or so. It has taken me YEARS of very hard work to get to the 80% level. I've had to work 5x as hard as a person starting with a blank slate. If you're looking for hard work and dedication, you will not see it demonstrated by the straight GPA number, at least not with me.

+1

10char

10char

Hi all

So is it not possible that regrets are continuously sent along with invites? Or is it always like separately sent out: rejections wave and then invite wave. I'm a first time applicant so just xurious!

There is a lot of speculation going on but it is definitely possible that regrets and invites could be sent out at the same time. I guess we will find out soon. ;)

Invite!

Just kidding! Hold in there guys!

That is only speculation, and I submitted before the early deadline so it may not only be bad news if we hear today.

Last year rejects went out prior to early deadline invites. It was funny actually; i think all rejections went out 1st, so even though early deadline received emails first for invites, everyone basically new they had an invite coming.

Archived