Premed 101 Forums

Countdown to interview decisions!

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is this late compared to last year? I'm a first time applicant to UBC and an OOP so I'm not holding up much hope. :(

For MUN we found out about interviews mid-October and and interviewed mid-November. They had a new process this year called a TaMMI, it was really cool.

Pretty late..last year we were informed first week of December.

What's TaMMI?

In case you overestimated your appetite and needed some help....

... hmmm, ok. but not promising anything. Be forewarned; I'm weirdly possessive around nutella.

Regrets will probably happen all at once

So:

Tuesday - Regrets

Wednesday - Early Invite

Thursday - Regular Invite

Friday - ???

Saturday/Sunday - Profit

UBC seems extra cryptic this year. All we know is that we will find out this week, that's for sure. When? No one knows....

Last year regrets came out across 2 days i think and there was a 'gap day' between regrets and offer.

Hmm, I went back to the old thread to take a look. The regrets were indeed all done in a single day, but there was a gap as well.

Here's a post that rsun made last year that neatly summarizes everything:

http://premed101.com/forums/showpost.php?p=779692&postcount=342

This is an aside but how do people with 75% get interviews? I know that a lot of people with 75's are deserving of an interview but with the AQ calculation they would literary get a zero. And even if you got a 50 on your NAQ (which is impossible), you would still not make the above 61 interview cut-off. However, it seems like every year at least 4-5 people make it through! I wonder....

This is an aside but how do people with 75% get interviews? I know that a lot of people with 75's are deserving of an interview but with the AQ calculation they would literary get a zero. And even if you got a 50 on your NAQ (which is impossible), you would still not make the above 61 interview cut-off. However, it seems like every year at least 4-5 people make it through! I wonder....

Simple, because we don't know how AQ is ACTUALLY calculated.

There are formulas thrown around on this forum, which are nothing but regressions from the average reported scores. Somehow, people have come to believe that the regression equation is what UBC actually uses, and are shocked when it doesn't fit.

No one stops to think the regression equation is based on the AQs of people that DIDN'T get in. We don't know what the AQ of that 75% GPA applicant was, because he/she got in, and no one will ever know the score UBC assigned.

For all we know they might add points to your AQ based on some judgement of hardships you describe, having a graduate degree, for having a purple face, or for being able to play Metallica song covers on a ukulele. We just don't know.

Hmm, I went back to the old thread to take a look. The regrets were indeed all done in a single day, but there was a gap as well.

Here's a post that rsun made last year that neatly summarizes everything:

http://premed101.com/forums/showpost.php?p=779692&postcount=342

Only thing is, this year you can switch monday with tuesday and vice versa in rsun's schedule.

Simple, because we don't know how AQ is ACTUALLY calculated.

There are formulas thrown around on this forum, which are nothing but regressions from the average reported scores. Somehow, people have come to believe that the regression equation is what UBC actually uses, and are shocked when it doesn't fit.

No one stops to think the regression equation is based on the AQs of people that DIDN'T get in. We don't know what the AQ of that 75% GPA applicant was, because he/she got in, and no one will ever know the score UBC assigned.

For all we know they might add points to your AQ based on some judgement of hardships you describe, having a graduate degree, for having a purple face, or for being able to play Metallica song covers on a ukulele. We just don't know.

Haha, well said! I think so many people, me included, got sucked into "the forumla". It is like the holy grail or something. You also made an interesting point that this formula is based on rejected applicants and not applicants that got an interview which makes me wonder. I guess the bottom line is that there are so many unknown factors that go into calculating our scores. We will never know the method to UBC's madness.

ubc sux

Joking but not joking haha. Feel bad for those who met the early bird deadline...!

The early bird deadline still gives the results quicker than those who didn't apply early, while also giving applicants an earlier opportunity to pick their date/time of convenience for their interview. Why do you feel bad for them?

The early bird deadline still gives the results quicker than those who didn't apply early, while also giving applicants an earlier opportunity to pick their date/time of convenience for their interview. Why do you feel bad for them?

I've got a couple friends who applied early bird who have been expecting results since last week and even today. If I applied for the early bird deadline, I'd be pretty bummed if by now - after more than a week of waiting - I didn't get a response. Did you meet the early bird deadline?

I've got a couple friends who applied early bird who have been expecting results since last week and even today. If I applied for the early bird deadline, I'd be pretty bummed if by now - after more than a week of waiting - I didn't get a response. Did you meet the early bird deadline?

You're only supposed to get the results one day before regular invitations...

I'm not an applicant for this cycle. But for the last cycle, yes I did meet the early bird deadline and received notification a day before individuals who didn't meet the deadline.

Well, those that were rejected post-interview also had an AQ that was consistent with the linear regression, but that's still far from conclusive evidence.

It is a nice model for getting a ball park estimate for sure. But it should be revise to

AQ = m*GPA + b + W (where W is some wildcard factor that obviously some applicants have, although majority don't)

Has there been any anecdote on how having a graduate degree factors in? It definitely must have some effect on the TFR, and it doesn't seem logical for it to be part of NAQ - (well, what is more "academic" than a graduate degree?). My guess was that it is somehow in the AQ.

According to UBC ad com, having a PhD for OOPs gives them the advantage of waiving the BC residency requirement. But I wonder exactly what kind of bonus it gives otherwise. U of A clearly states how a Master's or PhD adds to the total file score. At U of T, the grade cut-off threshold is lowered massively for grad students. I'd be surprised if UBC give out some sort of favor to grad students.

You're only supposed to get the results one day before regular invitations...

Chill with the "...". Of course I understand that, but given that these people applied a couple few weeks in advance of the deadline for everyone else, this much waiting could be frustrating if they have other things to focus on. Of course it's not UBC's fault that more people applied this year. Not everyone gets as riled up about invites as I do of course, so I'm sure some early-birds are fine with the wait.

Archived