Premed 101 Forums

Pre-Pharmacy, need some advice.

SBK1994

I am currently in my second semester of my second year. Pharmacy has been a career possibility ever since 1st year. However, I know the chances of getting into a pharmacy school are not the greatest. I do not have a backup as of yet, Im currently transferring from nursing into kinesiology so I can get my pre-reqs done for pharm. How did you guys stay focused at the task at hand of doing well in school, and not letting the thought of possibly not getting into pharmacy school weigh on your minds.

Thanks

I honestly had no idea I would end up in pharmacy during undergrad, but I just wanted to say that a bad first year does not mean you will not have a shot. I think pharmacy school tends to look at everything you've done (at my school at least), but you can definitely compensate by doing better in future undergrad years and doing well on the PCAT (not sure what school you are interested in, PCAT might not be required). I know someone who did not do that well in first year, but had an upward trend and did well on the PCAT, and got accepted once they graduated. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

My parents' restaurant got bankrupt. I could only study one more year financially. It was do or die. Got rid of my cell phone and my laptop. I don't know how many hours I studied, but I just remember studying a lot.

Finished 1st year with 3.95/4.00 GPA. Got into pharmacy school.

My high school grades...

Physics 12 -> 56%

English 12 -> 70%

Social studies 12 -> 58%

Chemistry 12 -> 65%

Calculus -> 97%

Math -> 91%

I wasn't really a smart student like how 99% of my pharmacy classmates are. But when you have to study. When that each grade will actually change the course of your life irrevocably, you get pretty scared and become motivated to study 10 hours a day.

Archived