Premed 101 Forums

U of T Interview Discussion 2014

Can anyone give some insight to the different Academies that are offered for the St. George Campus? So far I know that the different academies have different teaching facilities/hospitals and are different in size, but other than that, are there any other differences? What helped you decide on which academy?

Thanks! :)

I don't think there is any real difference other than where you are for your Friday morning ASCM sessions and occasional Wednesday afternoons. WB encompasses the University Avenue hospitals, PB is more Sunnybrook/Womens/North York Gen/Markham Stoufville etc. I would imagine your academy plays a bigger role in clerkship but I can't comment on that since I haven't looked into it very much.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can anyone give some insight to the different Academies that are offered for the St. George Campus? So far I know that the different academies have different teaching facilities/hospitals and are different in size, but other than that, are there any other differences? What helped you decide on which academy?

I can say that I love waking up at 7:40am and getting out at 7:50am to get to ASCM session at 8:00am...:cool: (I'm WB)

Some of my colleagues at other academies may not have this luxury ;)

No real differences other than proximity in first/second year. Clerkship rotations are primarily done in your academy hospitals with some exceptions (Sick Kids is a common location for all academies for their pediatric rotation + some rotations will have parts in community settings). Also, for most small group work (PBL, clinical skills sessions, community health groups etc.) you will be with people in your academies

Does anyone know what happens if you receive an interview on the March 29/30 weekend and already have interviews on both those days. Would there be any chance of getting some kind of accommodation?

Email Leslie Taylor to let her know about the conflict. It's easier to fix it before it becomes a problem.

One (minor?) difference would be the patient demographic. Depending on what you do, this may be reflected by age and socioeconomic status.

For example:

Fitz hospitals like St.Michaels may serve some of the most vulnerable populations in the inner-city. Lots of poverty, street youth, etc.

PB is around the North York region, serving some of the retired population and some of the richest folks in Toronto.

MAM, located Mississauga, is among one of the fastest growing city due to immigration in North America. Rich diversity in culture and you may need to deal with issues related to culture, language, etc.

WB: I'm running out of things to say here, haha...

Anyway, the above point is minor because you'll definitely see and have to learn to serve patients across a wide spectrum of demographics no matter which academy you are in. I don't know how this will contribute to your understanding of the academies, but this is just me procrastinating studying for the exam tomorrow. :o ..

You only have to come to downtown for anatomy labs, which start at 10am. All the lectures are video-conferenced to MAM. Not to mention most of them are recorded so you pretty much don't even have to go to class...:rolleyes:

I sometimes regret not picking MAM, living in Mississauga is so much cheaper than living downtown...

Yup, we only have to go downtown twice a week for anatomy labs in the first 2 months of school. Something like 19 days in total! Labs start at 10 am and we get a shuttle bus provided (which leaves Mississauga around 8:30 am). They pack the lab days full so that when we make the trip downtown, we are spending every minute there in the lab!

I heard graduate student applications and undergraduate student applications are reviewed a little differently and by different panels. Looking at the invites thread it looks like the graduate applications are already reviewed and successful candidates have been invited for interviews already. The March ones all seem to be undergraduate students, as a graduate student this makes me pretty sad. UfT is my first choice for personal reasons and I had spent the most time working on my UfT application.

I heard graduate student applications and undergraduate student applications are reviewed a little differently and by different panels. Looking at the invites thread it looks like the graduate applications are already reviewed and successful candidates have been invited for interviews already. The March ones all seem to be undergraduate students, as a graduate student this makes me pretty sad. UfT is my first choice for personal reasons and I had spent the most time working on my UfT application.

No no no, don't say that! Maybe they have yet to review the final round of grad applications! (Also a grad applicant here.)

Positive thinking, positive thinking

Also: if they deemed that you didn't have that much graduate work to evaluate, I believe they put you in with the undergrad applications and just evaluate you that way. This seems somewhat likely for me as I have no publications and not too many presentations.

No no no, don't say that! Maybe they have yet to review the final round of grad applications! (Also a grad applicant here.)

Positive thinking, positive thinking

Also: if they deemed that you didn't have that much graduate work to evaluate, I believe they put you in with the undergrad applications and just evaluate you that way. This seems somewhat likely for me as I have no publications and not too many presentations.

I don't think I am in that pile, I do have several publications but not a first authored one yet, and have done multiple presentations locally and internationally. I am just so anxious about UfT since this result will impact not only my life but my spouse's as well. But yes positive thinking, maybe is better than outright no.

I don't think I am in that pile, I do have several publications but not a first authored one yet, and have done multiple presentations locally and internationally. I am just so anxious about UfT since this result will impact not only my life but my spouse's as well. But yes positive thinking, maybe is better than outright no.

I'm not sure how much author order matters. I think they understand that not every field is the same and that collaborations are a very large part of the process. When I applied I only had like 2 first authors and one second author (and 4 others only submitted at the time). I creeped your stats, and I would be very surprised if you don't get an interview.

There is no reason to believe that. Since applications are reviewed randomly, it wouldn't make sense that all grad app have already been reviewed. Furthermore, a substantial proportion of our class is made up of Graduate students.

Does anyone know approx. how many people are interviewed each day?

I think it's been about 80 per day thus far

PM'd this to Leon but don't know if he gets PMs since he's a super moderator and all that:

Are they still inviting people with an 8 in VR/PS (only below cutoffs in one section?). No one seems to have got an invite so far below 9/9/9

This may help you (from 2010, but I'd think it still holds): http://utmedadmissions.wordpress.com/2010/10/25/how-we-use-the-mcat/

PM'd this to Leon but don't know if he gets PMs since he's a super moderator and all that:

Are they still inviting people with an 8 in VR/PS (only below cutoffs in one section?). No one seems to have got an invite so far below 9/9/9

I too noticed this. I really hope that 1 below in 1 section still gives you a shot!

I too noticed this. I really hope that 1 below in 1 section still gives you a shot!

I do gets PMs! I'll respond here since you posted publicly too.

I know at least one friend who received an interview offer for the first interview date of this cycle who had an 8 in one section. So as far I can say based on that, UofT seems to be consistent from previous years on this policy. This is just based on an n=1 though. I'm not on Admissions so this is just an observation but I think it would be reasonable to assume they are holding to their previous policies.

The applications are reviewed by the same panels. As someone who reviewed files, I had a batch with both undergrad and grad students in it. Although there is the extra graduate package that is considered as part of your total application, the panels are integrated for the rest of the application :)

Archived