Premed 101 Forums

Clinical Associate/Moonlighting/OR assist?

Lets say there's a resident who has a change of heart but it might take a bit for them to switch programs.

How would one go about getting any sort of work because they're on a LOA and not making any income? A job as a clinical associate or an OR assist or anything? How does one get a licence for this? How does one even find a job for something like this? Do you just contact program directors or are there job postings somewhere?

I'm a PGY4 in a surgical specialty so I feel I'm fairly qualified to do some form of medical work with some form of independence.

Any help or suggestions?

The bottom line is your license.

If you continue to be a resident, then in theory you could do CA, OR assist or whatever shifts for slightly less pitiful pay then as a resident. This is dependent on your program directors good graces, as well as your ability to do such work per your local provincial college and their requirements for residents to do "moonlighting." You will need CMPA coverage as a resident with "moonlighting" privileges.

If you are no longer a resident, and you have not completed a residency program, then I think you will find great difficulties in becoming licensed, and therefore being able to use your skills to any degree whatsoever.

The beauty of the labour discipline system in residency is that, in general, unless you finish a program, and receive a certificate stating such, you are no better off then an MD without residency training at all. In fact, you are likely worse off, because you're Carms options are severely curtailed vis-a-vis first round.

I just wanted to add one more thing: if you are a PGY4 in a surgical specialty then I would very carefully analyze your options. Finishing your residency, regardless of pain/sweat/tears involved, may perhaps be preferable to being left in a very uncertain lurch.

There are many more options for you after you finish residency, especially when one considers that a months locum in any surgical position will likely furnish you with enough money to get by for the rest of the year.

I would specifically analyze what you despise most about medical practice, and see if you can make changes to these things by either a) changing practice location B) practice scope c) practice province d) country.

Also, do not forget private surgical practice in BC and Alberta especially. But this is a route only for the independently licensed.

• 2 months later...
I just wanted to add one more thing: if you are a PGY4 in a surgical specialty then I would very carefully analyze your options. Finishing your residency, regardless of pain/sweat/tears involved, may perhaps be preferable to being left in a very uncertain lurch.

There are many more options for you after you finish residency, especially when one considers that a months locum in any surgical position will likely furnish you with enough money to get by for the rest of the year.

I would specifically analyze what you despise most about medical practice, and see if you can make changes to these things by either a) changing practice location B) practice scope c) practice province d) country.

Also, do not forget private surgical practice in BC and Alberta especially. But this is a route only for the independently licensed.

These are very wise words.

Do you know of any provinces that would give a restricted licence to an individual to cover some small town emerg or locum?

Only if you are trained in FM..."Minor emerg" still sees cildren and patients with every single issue in medicine so there's no way you'd be trained to see those patiens as a surgical resident who has probably spent the last 4 years in 1 tiny quarter of the body.

In alberta, you can moonlight after you've finished your lmcc part 2.

+1. Going on a leave of absence may be something that has to be declared in the future, and in any case leaving a residency program midway without having started another is going to limit your chances of finding medical-related work.

I agree with this too.

If you are pgy4, stick it out. It may suck donkey balls to do so, but one more year and you have a licence to practice, which allows you to at least pay the bills while you figure out what direction to take your life in.

+1. Going on a leave of absence may be something that has to be declared in the future, and in any case leaving a residency program midway without having started another is going to limit your chances of finding medical-related work.

Thank you captain obvious - hence my questions!

Only if you are trained in FM..."Minor emerg" still sees cildren and patients with every single issue in medicine so there's no way you'd be trained to see those patiens as a surgical resident who has probably spent the last 4 years in 1 tiny quarter of the body.

In alberta, you can moonlight after you've finished your lmcc part 2.

Operatively, in a portion of the body... on-call for 90+ inpatients where you're called for everything from UTI to headaches!

We do off-service rotations our first 2 years.

Are you in a residency?

Really think about staying and completing your res up to licensure, make sure it's not just a phase...and you really won't be happy being in your field.

If so, switch to FM within your province, you prob will get a few rotations credited, much easier than re-entering CaRMS. Then, get a license and you can do quite a bit, including OR assists or whatever, Botox if that's your thing...

I know of one staff who did a whole 5 year residency OB-GYN, did not write the Royal College, switched to path...that's a lot of time in residency, but hey YOLO...

Operatively, in a portion of the body... on-call for 90+ inpatients where you're called for everything from UTI to headaches!

We do off-service rotations our first 2 years.

Are you in a residency?

Really? What surgical residency does off service NON-surgical rotations past 1st year?

And I wouldn't say you "deal" with anything really; you generally consult in the morning because most of the time you don't know how to fully deal with it.

Really? What surgical residency does off service NON-surgical rotations past 1st year?

And I wouldn't say you "deal" with anything really; you generally consult in the morning because most of the time you don't know how to fully deal with it.

If I may infer, Talon is at an ortho program that I'm familiar with, where they do ICU and vascular in second year.

Anyway I've done many months of floor call and it's not exactly brain (or even hip) surgery. Actual medicine (or cardio!) call is a lot more demanding.

Archived