Premed 101 Forums

"House of God"

Guest DancingDoc

Guest DancingDoc

So kind of a random post, but the interview forum has been slow except for today apparently (you'd think it wouldn't be with all the interviews going on right now!) and I was thinking about this book I just finished reading called "House of God" by Samuel Shem. I have heard time and time again that it's a realistic look at the unglorified side of medicine, and that to deny that a lot of it is true is to be in denial of the reality.

So I'm wondering for those of you who have read it and/or are already med students (and onward) what aspects of the book actually are true. I'm going to guess that the constant doctor-nurse relationships are not quite true (you never know though!). Is the point that you can't deny that young people die, there's often nothing you can do, it's often the elderly (the so called "gomers", aka "get out of my emergency room") that stay the same will the young die suddenly.... etc. How many people actually become disillusioned with medicine or have their personality really change (for the worse)? And how corrupt is the politics in most hospitals? Just curious, because to me it sounds like the book exagerrates though makes some good points so I want to know the reality of what I'm getting into (if I'm lucky enough to get in this year that is, knock on wood!).

Any thoughts?! :b

Hi DancingDoc,

Not in med school yet, but applied to Dal for this fall. I discussed this book during my interview at Dal. I thought this book was great because it really made me sit down and think about being a doctor. I found the book to be very blunt in that it gave a no-nonsense look at life as a resident, and it kind of stripped medicine of its glorified prestige. IMO, I think this book would be a great read for anyone who was not sure if medicine was for them (among other, more positive reads of course!). I figure if you still want to be a doctor after reading a book like that, than chances are you really want to, becuase I felt like it could kind of make or break you. I agree with you about the doctor-nurse sexual relationship thing probably not being as extreme as the book portrays it (or at least I hope not). I also agree that some things are probably exaggerated to make a point, but a good point - medicine is a not the absolute glorious profession that people make it out to be. Doctors are not gods, they cannot always heal the patient, and cannot always deal - in other words, they are human :)

Just my thoughts on the book. I thought it was one of the best books I ever read.

On another note, I don't know if this was in your copy, but Samuel Shem is the author's pen name, and the author himself is an MD. Also this takes place in the American medical system, and in the 1970's, so some things might be different in Canada. It would be interesting to hear other med students/doctors perspective on the novel.

My, that was long-winded!

Snew :)

Guest DancingDoc

Hey Snew,

I definitely agree that it makes or breaks you, but after reading it I still want to be a doctor. So I guess I'm either a masochists or I will love medicine. lol. Have you read the sequel, "Mount Misery"? It's my next read.

I'm applying to Dal this year too, are you from Nova Scotia/maritimes or are you OOP? Good luck with applications! :)

Hi DancingDoc,

I am from the Maritimes, New Brunswick to be exact, but I did my undergrad at Dal. I haven't read the sequel yet, but it is definitely on my list of books to read.

Thanks for the good wishes! Good luck!

Did my undergrad in Microbiology and Immunology. It was long and hard, but finally finished in Dec. 2005, although convocation is not until this spring. Moved to BC to work, pursue interests, and hang out with my BF until I hear about Dal between May and June :)

Snew :)

Archived