Premed 101 Forums

Tips for new MCAT?

daftypatty

Regarding the subjects/topics for the new MCAT, I was wondering which subjects are less of a point of emphasis. Like, is there as much organic chem and biochem in it still? I'm asking this because I was planning to take organic chem during the summer this year (end of first year), but since most med schools in Ontario don't have organic chem requirements and if they reduced the organic chem content, I might as well just study for it myself instead of taking it at all....

Also, in regards to biochem, should I take biochem courses to prepare for them? Or is self-study sufficient for biochem

Regarding the subjects/topics for the new MCAT, I was wondering which subjects are less of a point of emphasis. Like, is there as much organic chem and biochem in it still? I'm asking this because I was planning to take organic chem during the summer this year (end of first year), but since most med schools in Ontario don't have organic chem requirements and if they reduced the organic chem content, I might as well just study for it myself instead of taking it at all....

Also, in regards to biochem, should I take biochem courses to prepare for them? Or is self-study sufficient for biochem

all the topics of course are still online - I don't think the organic chem load is changing much (same with biochem). The depth of material you need to know isn't extremely high so I really do think you can learn it on your own although of course taking classes in it doesn't hurt :)

This new test is obviously a grey area as no one has actually taken it yet. Fortunately everyone remains in the same boat regardless

Orgo was (and likely still is) 20% of the BS section. The concepts covered on the MCAT for orgo are also much more basic than what you learn in the course (however learning more in depth doesn't hurt either). I wrote without orgo and scored a 14. However, I did have to spend a great deal of time teaching myself the material and it was one of my biggest stresses going to write the MCAT on test day.

Archived