Premed 101 Forums

Gay Issues and Interviews

Guest in the hot zone

Guest in the hot zone

I'm gay and I'm proud of it. Although it might not be very obvious upon first inspection since I'm "straight-acting."

Nevertheless, should I divulge my sexuality when the discussion happend to cover the topic? I don't have to (I know that) but I think I'll be able to relate to the question if I use my own experiences. Of course, the discussion might not be directly related to gay issues per se but how would I react to questions that pertain to love life (if it ever be asked)?

I understand that being gay should not interfere with professional life. Hence, being gay doesn't prevent me from becoming a competent doctor as long as I keep my private life aside. But the complication arises when the interviewers themselves are sensitive to the issue. What are your suggestions?

Guest satsumargirl

Your "love life" will not come up on an interview. It is just not something they will ask about. Just like they wouldn`t ask anyone if they were planning on having kids, getting married etc.

At U of Ottawa I remember at the beginning of the year there was an email sent out to everyone informing us of a Gay & Lesbian medical (students and doctors?? not sure) club. I don`t know the details of it or the accurate and complete name. But if a club has been formed then perhaps that means there is a fair representation among students. Perhaps you could contact this group to ask some advice about their experiences in the matter. I am sorry I do not have the contact info. I just know that they exist. You might be able to find then on the website.

Good luck

This issue will not come up. At most, sometimes interviewers ask "how will you manage your career and family life" or something along those lines...but a direct 'love life' question will never come up.

Madz

• 1 month later...
Guest satsumargirl

Hey there...completely understand. If you don`t get helpful responses from this board, perhaps contacting one of those organizations can help put you in contact with students/doctors who are willing to share their experiences.

Sats

• 6 months later...

About the "have you had sex before?" question. My friend's father is on an admission comitee and apparently when they ask this question, the correct answer they are looking for is a polite refusal to answer the question. ie "With all due respect, I don't see how this question judges in any way my ability to become a doctor".

• 1 month later...
The person in question was part of the adcom at UdM (Universite de Montreal). I do agree it's a pretty odd question.

That is a very odd question and one that seems to act like a trap. I know there are certainly wrong answers to questions, but why would someone ask a question with the intention of looking for a specific answer if the process is designed to assess personality and communication for medical admissions.

Also, what is someone is perfectly comfortable asking that question with the understanding that it doesn't reflect their ability to become a physician. Does that mean the get zero for that question? I've been interviews before where I have been asked odd questions, but never one where I was expect to give a specific answer - unless that answer was exactly what I believed like everyone else who answers that question.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd just like to note that there are things that your interview panel is not allowed to ask you about. Your sexuality and religon are some of these forbidden things. However, IF YOU BRING IT UP, then it is fair game. For example: on your essay or autobiographical sketch you mention that you belong to a particular religon. Then they may ask you about it. My friend said a friend of his wanted to get a reinterview because the panel asked her about her religion. She felt this was unfair. However, this request was declined on the grounds that she had mentioned in her religon in her sketch.

This is all pretty common sense.

G' luck

D

There's definitely a lgbt contingent at UofT (and I'm sure at every medical school), and at UofT we have a very active Diversity in Medicine LGBT Issues Group this year. We had a mixer with law students last week. Tomorrow, we will be having a doctor coming in tomorrow to talk about transgendered issues, and he will be bringing in a MTF and FTM to talk about their experiences.

I guess that was prove that the mere fact that you are gay should not affect the way your application is viewed. Of course, if you have been very involved in the lgbt community in the past, you could bring it up and talk about your experiences in those groups. Expect some questions based on those experiences (but those are just follow-up questions that you should expect with anything you bring up).

And when your prof has said 'male anal receptive intercourse' five times in the last five minutes to a lecture hall of 200 students (and this was serious/formal stuff), you know that it's an non-issue in class. (This is the same guy who talked about cervical cancer and low risks of HPV transmission when the "scrotum intermittently touches the female perineum.")

I'm gay and I'm proud of it. Although it might not be very obvious upon first inspection since I'm "straight-acting."

Nevertheless, should I divulge my sexuality when the discussion happend to cover the topic? I don't have to (I know that) but I think I'll be able to relate to the question if I use my own experiences. Of course, the discussion might not be directly related to gay issues per se but how would I react to questions that pertain to love life (if it ever be asked)?

I understand that being gay should not interfere with professional life. Hence, being gay doesn't prevent me from becoming a competent doctor as long as I keep my private life aside. But the complication arises when the interviewers themselves are sensitive to the issue. What are your suggestions?

I don't see anything necessarily wrong or negative about mentioning your LGBTT status, especially if you've faced adversity because of it. Of course, if you're asked about it, then be ready to speak with candor.

Archived