Premed 101 Forums

What would you bring to this medical school...?

Guest DancingDoc

Guest DancingDoc

How would you guys answer this question?

I'm struggling with it because any answer about myself that's true just seems so run of the mill:

-I'm a hard worker (so are all other premeds)

-I'm enthousiastic (I hope all premeds are or they shouldn't be applying)

-I have ____ experiences to bring (I'm sure we have something to this effect)

-I'm a good team player (pretty run of the mill answer again)

-I work well under stress (we're all going to have to soon enough)

I'm not asking for people to give me what I should answer for the question, but I'm asking how I should consider approaching this question if asked. I want to truthful, but not boring (i.e. memorable).

Guest Jochi1543

Hmmmm. I would focus on the "experiences" part of it. Think of some of your experiences that others in your class or even your instructors would benefit from. Doesn't necessarily have to be related to medicine - let's say you are a kickass comedian, and you could really liven up some boring schmoozing "party" on campus. Or you are very familiar with some marginalized group, such as the homeless, from your volunteering experiences, and can provide insight on how to communicate with such patients and what special help they need. Or maybe you've spent a lot of time around non-native English speakers and you are apt at making yourself easily understandable and can teach your colleagues to provide better services when dealing with recent immigrants - and can also serve as a cultural bridge between foreign-born and domestic-born students in your class. Just some examples that come to mind.

Guest WesternMan

Jochi hit it right on. The problem is that you're completely correct - everyone MUST claim to possess the qualities you listed, so it would seem as though every interviewee will be identical - thus making it harder to separate yourself from the pack.

BUT the thing is, a physician MUST manage stress well, MUST be hard-working, MUST communicate well, etc. So by focusing on your particular experiences and how they have prepared YOU and YOU ALONE, you're guaranteed to leave an impresseion on interviewers. All they want is to see that you clearly have demonstrated what they expect you to demonstrate.

remeber, if you are being interviewed it's because they already think you're good. It's like they scouted out your game and have called you for a try-out.

bring your A-game! I know i'll have mine:hat

man from western

Archived