Premed 101 Forums

Interview preparation data

Guest nguyen297

Guest nguyen297

Hey all:

Does anyone here know any websites about the rules and regulations concerning confidentiality and other ethical tidbits that doctors are obliged to follow? Perhaps an official Canadian website - or Ontario if these things differ from province to province?

Sincerely,

Me.

Guest ilitvino

Not sure about Canada, but in the States we have this HUGE thing called HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act). It covers all the situations with privacy of healthcare information.

There are tons of information on HIPAA at the Health and Human Services site:

www.hhs.gov/ocr/hipaa/

... I think that it is useful to read it even though it is more pertinent to the US, since these regulations are likely to trickle down to Canada at some pointl (just like everything else does ;) )

Hi. The CMA has a Code of Ethics and policy statements on various topics. It's not a bad idea to check them out at http://www.cma.ca. Also, the CMAJ did a series on ethics for clinicians. You can access them through the CMA website as well. With regards to Ontario, you can go to the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario website (http://www.cpso.on.ca) for policy information. It might also be useful to get a good text that introduces you to the issues. Hope that helps.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Here is the link to the CMAJ Bioethics series for clinicians. It's a very good resource. Each article tends to focus on one ethics topic wherein they present a number of cases, outline the information on the decision-making surrounding that ethical principle and then provide answers--all in about 2-3 pages. I read almost all of them to prepare for my interviews and resultantly, felt quite well armed to tackle ethics questions. (Confidentiality is the focus of article 8 of the list.)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest medsmurf

I agree that the CMAJ Bioethics series is a very good pre-interview read. I felt extremely confident about answering ethical questions in my interviews last year after reading these articles.

Archived