Premed 101 Forums

Research or Traveling during the summer?

I'm pretty conflicted on what I should be doing for the summer. I feel like it's probably one of my last chances to have an extended break before clerkship, residency, etc. and to be care-free. At the same time, I feel like I should be doing something productive like research.

1) If I'm interested in a competitive specialty, is taking one summer off from research detrimental?

2) What have been your experiences with this/any advice for us? Thoughts?

I'm pretty conflicted on what I should be doing for the summer. I feel like it's probably one of my last chances to have an extended break before clerkship, residency, etc. and to be care-free. At the same time, I feel like I should be doing something productive like research.

1) If I'm interested in a competitive specialty, is taking one summer off from research detrimental?

2) What have been your experiences with this/any advice for us? Thoughts?

I did both between my first and second year of preckerkship, the link to the following post might interest you. It was a great program.

http://premed101.com/forums/showpost.php?p=693194&postcount=13

Do you already have a strong background in research or are you interested in a field that doesn't place a big emphasis on it? Travel!

Are you interested in a competitive specialty and you don't have any research experience yet? Maybe a better idea to spend some time over the summers doing research.

I fell into the first category, traveled for both of my preclerkship summers, and don't regret it for a second.

back from exam hell!

Not really that strong a background in research - did some in undergrad but no publication from it and it was basic science.

i really have no idea what I want to do but the thought just nags me that if I eventually want to do a competitive specialty, I'll be too late in the game if I travel.

sounds like the ROAD-UP = do research both summer at least or you don't get in lol?

From talking to physicians it seems like you should spend at least one summer doing research, and if you can manage it, keep things ongoing through the year. Personally travelled and did clinical electives last year. This year is all about the research though. If you want anything remotely competitive definitely get some medical school research under your belt.

• 4 weeks later...

If you're going for a competitive specialty, research matters.

Summer is obviously nice too... I agree with the notion that both research and summer can be done in one summer as long as you have a supervisor who is willing (and most are from the experiences of classmates).

Always ask other students who worked with a particular supervisor/clinician before if you can. I turned down research in Ontario since people who worked with Dr. X said to me "be prepared to work ~60hrs/week all summer." No thanks.

Archived