Premed 101 Forums

MSc / PhD Clinician Investigator Program

Hope to hear from someone with experience with CIP programs. I will am hoping to start residency this July and complete a MSc during residency.

I would already be half way completed my project before beginning residency (graduate coursework, proposal, and half data collection and analysis), so would be seeking to transition my project into a CIP MSc, and to complete (remaining objectives and thesis defence).

If anyone happens to have any experience with process, and knowledge about funding, I'd appreciate hearing from them? Eg. If you take time away from residency to pursue a masters (usually between year 2 and 3), does your pay scale still continue (R3 during your CIP year and R4 upon return), or would you have to seek separate funding for the research year and just take leave from residency and return as R3 funding?

Also, would the awarded degree be: MSc in (department x), or MSc in CIP?

I am a surgical resident who finished the CIP program.

CIP covers funding for 2 years - it is essentially a Royal College 'residency' - so you continue with your pay scale increase for those two years (ie. I left after R2 - I came back paid as an R5 even though I was a clinical R3). At my school, a MSc is 2 years, PhD 3 years through the CIP - so those wanting the PhD have to find salary support for the final year through some other means (usually from the lab itself). I also had the opportunity to do extender call shifts to make some extra cash (paid at $90-$120/hr depending on the service you are covering).

You are awarded the degree from the department you are working in (Masters in experimental surgery, clinical epidemiology, etc). You are also recognized by the Royal College for your CIP work.

As a total assumption based on your post, are you hoping to finish your research in a single year off from residency? This is possible, but my understanding is that you cannot be enrolled in the CIP program (aka - you would then need to find funding elsewhere for the year). The CIP program is a 'residency' of sorts and has strict criteria for enrollment and completion, including 2 years of research DURING residency. You may want to confirm that, but this is my understanding.

Cheers

PMD

Archived