Premed 101 Forums

UBC Internal Medicine Warning of Probation

I heard the UBC internal program was under warning of probation. Does anyone know if this is true? And if it is true, what are the issues?

Many programs in IM go on probation from time to time. Its usually not a big deal. Its mainly to get the programs to comply with often arbitrary demands of the Royal College. The programs shapes up in a way that the Royal College likes, they get a stamp approval and then Royal College puts another program on probation.

In UBC situation, it may be secondary to how service heavy it is and reptuation of insufficient time for teaching. But thats my guess.

call always averages out to 1:4 at the most, when you're on CTU. UBC has a reputation for very high volume (ie: busy CTU service/lots of patients) and over worked residents. Every single person I have spoken to had only negative things to say about the program. I haven't personally visited, but the program doesn't seem to have a fantastic reputation.

As someone who worked out at UBC, I can tell you that the IM residents also seemed like they were getting the shaft, while the nurses kept at their dohnuts.

Even on light, off CTU rotations, they'd be constantly missing teaching to do etc. to do crap on the floor.

All while getting paid a pittance compared to the rest of the country. Must be a great deal.

Archived