Premed 101 Forums

PGY3 years

Loulou52

Does anyone know how difficult it is to go from one university's FM program for 2 years and get into another province's PGY-3 program?

The FM program that is most convenient for me does not offer the PGY-3 program I may be interested in. Would it be wiser to relocate for the 2 years in case I may still want to do a third year at the end of it?

ETA: it would not be for the competitive EM spots.

People definitely switch universities for the PGY-3 year. Also, doing your FM residency at school X does not necessarily mean you will be a preferred candidate for PGY-3 at school X (not just theorizing, seen this in action).

I would suggest going to an FM residency you think will make you happiest for the 2 years. You may not want to do a PGY-3 at the end of it all, so don't choose a residency just because you think the PGY-3 program there is better.

Go where you want to be for two years. It's a long time. You may find you have a different interest, or that you have learned enough about the topic you're thinking of to not need it. Lots of residents tailor their electives to do pall care or obstetrics (or whatever) to not need extra training.

PGY3 is supposed to be extra training - it has developed into the "required" training, but it's not.

Also, many schools offer "design your own" programs. (This cannot be done for programs with an exam at the end - such as emerge. As in, you can't design your own 'emerge year' and expect to sit the exam or get the qualification.)

Archived