Premed 101 Forums

Pre carms and Post carms Electives

Hi

Just wanted to clarify something with everyone.

Is the only difference between precarms and post carms elective the fact that you may not be able to get reference letters into CaRMs selection comittee on time? or is there another benefit of having precarm electives

Applications are submitted in the fall - Oct (maybe Sept? I don't exactly remember). Interviews and ranking in January.

Best to have your electives before you submit in order to have your reference letters and good chance at interviews (if they liked you anyway).

But it is still worthwhile to do them afterward. If you are rotating through when they are going through applications they can maybe put a face to your application. And come interview time and ranking people will be able to comment on how your rotation went. So don't completely write off rotations after your applications are in.

I know the dates change every year. But around what time during the year do they make the selections? Or rather how many weeks is in post carms vs pre carms?

Applications are due around end of November (this year ~Nov 22) and then opened to the programs, except for reference letters, a few days later. Letters of reference are open to the programs about a week after that, and you have until them to assign them to a program. All these dates are still available on the CaRMS website if you want to have a look.

Interview invites go out through December into early January for most programs, with most of them probably mid-Dec. No selections are made pre-CaRMS (hence the "pre").

Interviews in Jan-Feb. Rank order lists due February. Match day first week of March.

Applications are due around end of November (this year ~Nov 22) and then opened to the programs, except for reference letters, a few days later. Letters of reference are open to the programs about a week after that, and you have until them to assign them to a program. All these dates are still available on the CaRMS website if you want to have a look.

Interview invites go out through December into early January for most programs, with most of them probably mid-Dec. No selections are made pre-CaRMS (hence the "pre").

Interviews in Jan-Feb. Rank order lists due February. Match day first week of March.

I was told that once the application closes, you can no longer assign the reference letters?

I was told that once the application closes, you can no longer assign the reference letters?

I'm not sure how it was in previous years or if this may change for 2015, but for this year the application closed Nov 22-25, everything but reference letters opened to programs on Nov 25, we had until Dec 3 to assign letters of reference, and then letters were opened to programs Dec 3.

https://www.carms.ca/en/first-iteration-timetable

Archived