Premed 101 Forums

NSERC USRA Help

Bacopa

Hello,

For those who have applied for the USRA at a university that is not their own, I need some help filling out Form 202 part 1.

Under the Academic Background section, you need to list your degree, department, date of expected degree completion, etc. I figured I would just enter the name of my home institution where I am currently getting my bachelor's in biochemistry.

The undergraduate coordinator, who receives the paperwork and sends it to the people who decide who gets the USRAs, says that I should list the university that I'm applying to underneath that section as well. But for an USRA, there is no degree, or expected date of degree completion. I feel like I'm misunderstanding something, and I really don't want to fill out the paperwork incorrectly.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I had a similar experience when applying for NSERC CGS-M... the department graduate secretary wanted me to change my application/research proposal in ways that didn't really make sense. I talked to my PI and other students and ended up deciding to politely disagree with her and leave it the way I had it. I was offered the award so I guess it was the right choice.

Edit: Note that USRAs are decided on in-house at most institutions though, so it might be worth contacting whoever is on that selection committee at the institution you're applying to. CGS-M wasn't, so I was more concerned with adhering to what NSERC wanted.

Archived