Premed 101 Forums

P-cat scores

liburni

I just got my official p-cat score and don't quite understand them. I understand enough to know that I didn't do well, but how bad did I do is the real question.

These are my scores:

Verbal ability: 400(ss), 47(pr)

Biology: 408(ss), 57(pr)

Reading Comprehension: 406 (ss), 62 (pr)

Quantitative ability: 396 (ss), 39 (pr)

Chemistry: 415 (ss), 72 (pr)

Composite: 405 (ss), 57 (pr)

Writing: 4.0, the mean was 3.37

ss=scaled score

pr=percentile rank

How bad is this really?

Where are you applying to? I know Toronto primarily uses PCAT as cut-offs pre-interview (which are set fairly low). I think they also use it post-interview, but strong GPA + strong interview can definitely overcome it. At Toronto they also look at the percentage, not the scaled score (I think). So for Verbal you were the 47 percentile (53 percent of people did better than you), etc. The writing is out of 6, and I think that 4/6 is definitely safe for Toronto. If you are worried and you're not applying this year, you could always re-write. The cut-offs change from year to year, but I think chemistry tends to be the highest (your fine there) and you would only worry about things below 40 (but I think most cut offs are 30 and below).

I just got my official p-cat score and don't quite understand them. I understand enough to know that I didn't do well, but how bad did I do is the real question.

These are my scores:

Verbal ability: 400(ss), 47(pr)

Biology: 408(ss), 57(pr)

Reading Comprehension: 406 (ss), 62 (pr)

Quantitative ability: 396 (ss), 39 (pr)

Chemistry: 415 (ss), 72 (pr)

Composite: 405 (ss), 57 (pr)

Writing: 4.0, the mean was 3.37

ss=scaled score

pr=percentile rank

How bad is this really?

As I know: It is said that no reference is required for UBC pharmacy application this year. And PCAT will not be required in 2015.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived