Premed 101 Forums

Superstarbaby16 - Question Thread

Hey guys,

I'm in first year of university at Ottawa U and was thinking about applying to medical school in third year. How would I go about doing this process? Would I apply next year through OMSAS (in my second year)?

I've completed some of my prereqs. I have my general chemistry and orgo I'm doing now. Hopefully I will be taking my two bio classes next year and then I'm going to try and fir inorganic chemistry somewhere as well.

How would they calculate my GPA if I applied third year? And is it even a good idea to apply to Ottawa U third year?

• 3 weeks later...

As stated by goingplaid,

You will have to keep a really good average. All the people I know who have gotten interviews in 3rd year had 3.97+GPA. They also all had research for 1+years.

From my personal experience. I believe that you need to ensure your EC's are stellar. As someone who wanted to apply in 3rd year. I made sure to do EC's that I really enjoyed, that way I could do many many EC's while having fun. You will most likely also have to go through a summer of hell if you want to write the MCAT. As a 3rd year applicant, you don't want to have wasted a whole summer studying for the MCAT...

As stated by goingplaid,

You will have to keep a really good average. All the people I know who have gotten interviews in 3rd year had 3.97+GPA. They also all had research for 1+years.

From my personal experience. I believe that you need to ensure your EC's are stellar. As someone who wanted to apply in 3rd year. I made sure to do EC's that I really enjoyed, that way I could do many many EC's while having fun. You will most likely also have to go through a summer of hell if you want to write the MCAT. As a 3rd year applicant, you don't want to have wasted a whole summer studying for the MCAT...

I had an interview last year (3rd year applicant) with zero research

Is there anyone in Ottawa, who is in or has received an interview from uOttawa. I haven't seen any and was wondering what your GPA and how yours ECs were?

I have received an interview invite and I am in Ottawa! my wgpa is about 3.97 and my ECs mainly consist of research (1 2nd author pub,NSERC, UROP, Volunteer), Some music, intramural sports (hockey, flagfootball), work as a cook, and various small awards/honours/scholarships. Nothing special

(I am also a third year UG fyi)

I have received an interview invite and I am in Ottawa! my wgpa is about 3.97 and my ECs mainly consist of research (1 2nd author pub,NSERC, UROP, Volunteer), Some music, intramural sports (hockey, flagfootball), work as a cook, and various small awards/honours/scholarships. Nothing special

(I am also a third year UG fyi)

Yay! Well first of all, a big congratulations on getting an interview and I hope you do amazing! :D Thank you so much for giving me some info!

(And I'm hoping to apply third year to :D)

I played Tennis and Rugby all throughout high school and then couldn't play them first year of uni because of financial reasons. I will however be able to start playing again when I'm in year two. Would I be able to put on my OMSAS that I've been playing the sports for 4+ years, even though I didn't play it in my first year?

Archived