Premed 101 Forums

UofT Interview

Haha, I'm pretty sure people with really high GPAs aren't stupid enough to do 0 extracurriculars or character building activities :P

No, they're smart enough to focus only on their academics because ultimately that's what they're going to need to get into dental school, but they're misguided enough to think that lacking a whole host of other skills will be okay in the real world. They're in for a rude awakening.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, they're smart enough to focus only on their academics because ultimately that's what they're going to need to get into dental school, but they're misguided enough to think that lacking a whole host of other skills will be okay in the real world. They're in for a rude awakening.

Although that may be the case for a lot of individuals, I don't think it's fair to make that generalization.

Although that may be the case for a lot of individuals, I don't think it's fair to make that generalization.

As you mentioned it yourself, a lot of those individuals that have stellar stats, but perhaps not many other necessary skills for dentistry may hinder other applicants that could potentially become way better dentists. Difference b/t 3.95 and 3.9 does not correlate with how good of a dentist you could become.

Didn't mean to generalize, sorry. Poor choice of words, perhaps, but I was referring to the train of thought mike100 was carrying about "a lot of applicants [with high GPAs] that don't have any substantial experience in life."

Beyond that, I can tell you from personal (though subjective) experience that there are definitely a number of those types in dental school. Not saying we're all like that (hopefully), but sometimes you will regrettably wonder how certain people ended up there, and how they're going to make it once they leave.

As you mentioned it yourself, a lot of those individuals that have stellar stats, but perhaps not many other necessary skills for dentistry may hinder other applicants that could potentially become way better dentists. Difference b/t 3.95 and 3.9 does not correlate with how good of a dentist you could become.

I agree with you to an extent. It's definitely true when you consider that the 0.05 difference in GPA may be due to the difference in the level of difficulty of courses. I often wonder if the number of "bird courses" you've taken comes into play during the application/admissions process. If it doesn't, I've been planning my degree all wrong....

BUT there are individuals who manage to volunteer, become involved with extra-curricular activities, work throughout the school year and still get a 3.97. I guess what it comes down to is, how do they determine potential. That is where I think the interview comes into play, although - like many have said - that doesn't really help for those who were denied an interview to begin with.

From what I hear, many schools are moving towards a path where CV and personal statements come into play in the process. I guess what it comes down to is HOW MUCH weight should each element carry?

All-in-all, these are the cards we've been dealt and instead of worrying about what everyone else is bringing to the table, I just plan on focusing on myself. If I don't get in to either of the two schools I want then it's completely on me in the end.

Didn't mean to generalize, sorry. Poor choice of words, perhaps, but I was referring to the train of thought mike100 was carrying about "a lot of applicants [with high GPAs] that don't have any substantial experience in life."

Beyond that, I can tell you from personal (though subjective) experience that there are definitely a number of those types in dental school. Not saying we're all like that (hopefully), but sometimes you will regrettably wonder how certain people ended up there, and how they're going to make it once they leave.

Unfortunately, you see this in a lot of different places, whether it be school, work, etc. It definitely is frustrating, personally, to hear people say they want to go to dental school or medical school without any real reason as to why. It seems to be "the thing to do" nowadays. You can measure GPA, interview performance, DAT performance and more, but how do they measure passion?

Unfortunately, you see this in a lot of different places, whether it be school, work, etc. It definitely is frustrating, personally, to hear people say they want to go to dental school or medical school without any real reason as to why. It seems to be "the thing to do" nowadays. You can measure GPA, interview performance, DAT performance and more, but how do they measure passion?

I think you've misunderstood. I wasn't saying people should be passionate about dentistry in order to be admitted, or they need the proper motivations. It is exceedingly rare to find someone 'passionate' about dentistry before they go through dental school and begin practicing. I'm saying that a lot of people who apply, and ultimately, who get in, may have the academic chops but lack a lot of other skills that preclude them from handling the elevated stress levels of being a professional student and ultimately going out into the real world to practice.

Trust me when I say that the CDA interview really doesn't test well for these traits. How well you do on the interview is largely based on how much you practiced, not what kind of person you are.

Guest qwertyy
I think you've misunderstood. I wasn't saying people should be passionate about dentistry in order to be admitted, or they need the proper motivations. It is exceedingly rare to find someone 'passionate' about dentistry before they go through dental school and begin practicing. I'm saying that a lot of people who apply, and ultimately, who get in, may have the academic chops but lack a lot of other skills that preclude them from handling the elevated stress levels of being a professional student and ultimately going out into the real world to practice.

Trust me when I say that the CDA interview really doesn't test well for these traits. How well you do on the interview is largely based on how much you practiced, not what kind of person you are.

Definitely agree with this.

The scores on those interviews depend heavily on how much you practiced for it.

They should focus more on knowing about the person.

Definitely agree with this.

The scores on those interviews depend heavily on how much you practiced for it.

They should focus more on knowing about the person.

Humor me for a minute...

If you can practice, teach and learn the right things to say in an interview for admittance into dental school: then it serves to reason that you can practice, teach and learn the right things to say in a clinical setting (which I'm assuming is what you are all alluding to when you talk about "becoming good dentists").

It is well known that medical students lose empathy over the course of their training (med school and residency). But what they have also realized is that you can teach empathy. Medical schools teach students how to feel for their patients, and how/when/in what scenarios to convey what they feel.

Similarly, the soft skills that they test for in the 7 question mini-interview thing that Canadian dental schools do (the name behooves me), that focus on the ideal characteristics of a health professional: professionalism, responsibility, empathy, etc are all things that you can teach. Or in the case of applicants: practice and learn.

So in my opinion, it is good that you can take the time to practice and learn these skills and do better on the interview, because, it is foreshadowing what each of these students is capable of during the clinical years and beyond.

If you were as passionate about dentistry as you say, you would have practiced much more than the next guy - because in theory, the passion should drive you to work hard. If your passion doesn't drive you to put in the work to practice for the interview: then your passion is essentially useless now, and I would bet that your efforts today are a good reflection of your efforts in 4 years from now.

• 2 weeks later...

I just confirmed with a dental student at U of T that the class size for this coming 1st year class will be 96.

It says on the website that around 175 are interviewed, but since the class size has increased, does anyone know if the number of interviewees has increased as well for the current cycle?

I just confirmed with a dental student at U of T that the class size for this coming 1st year class will be 96.

It says on the website that around 175 are interviewed, but since the class size has increased, does anyone know if the number of interviewees has increased as well for the current cycle?

confirmed by who?

Walk into a first year bio or chem course and ask any random person what he/she wants to do. Any guess how many people will say that they want to be a dentist?

There are thousands if not tens of thousands of people who major in science to pursue a future career in health related services.

What else can they possibly do other than use GPA to sort people out?

Medical schools in Canada and outside of Canada and dental schools in pretty much every other English-speaking country except for Canada use a holistic approach when it comes to professional schools. Even Optometry schools require a profound personal statements and more ECs and experience than you will ever see in dentistry. Not even going to start with veterinary schools.

Canadian dental schools are literally the only ones still using this archaic method. Being holistic will always get you the best set of candidates vs ranking people with abysmal numbers.

Archived