Premed 101 Forums

Prereq courses worthwhile?

stack

Hey so to apply to certain oop schools I would need to get credits in biochem, ochem, english, and possibly half credits in 1st yr phys or chem.

Doing so would allow me to throw my hat in the ring for UBC and UofA and Manitoba I believe (biochem).

My GPA is around 3.5 (3.85 with my first year dropped).

I suppose if I tried to cram all those courses this summer then I would increase my chances by a great amount if I were eligible for these schools apart from the ontario schools.

I would have to rewrite my MCAT as I was rejected this year by uwo, queens, and mac ontop of doing the summer courses.

Any opinions if its worthwhile throwing down over 3k for these courses in order to apply to these oop schools with mediocre ECs?

Thanks so much.

I think having the ability to potentially get into more schools is never a bad idea. However, with a 3.5 your chances at OOP for U of A, and UBC (I'm unsure about Manitoba) are slim. U of A average acceptance was 3.88 with only 15% being set aside for OOP. Many people with higher GPAs than that have been declined, but that doesn't mean it is impossible if you have the 3.85 you stated, just slightly less likely.

For UBC I'm not 100% what the average of 3.85 is in percentage, but their OOP average was 91%, and from what I understand the SD on that is quite low, so you basically need nothing below a 90% to stand even a slightly chance.

Be aware that UBC requires a full year of biochem, and U of A requires a term of biochem, but also recommends a year. They also both require a full year of orgo, and English

Hey so to apply to certain oop schools I would need to get credits in biochem, ochem, english, and possibly half credits in 1st yr phys or chem.

Doing so would allow me to throw my hat in the ring for UBC and UofA and Manitoba I believe (biochem).

My GPA is around 3.5 (3.85 with my first year dropped).

I suppose if I tried to cram all those courses this summer then I would increase my chances by a great amount if I were eligible for these schools apart from the ontario schools.

I would have to rewrite my MCAT as I was rejected this year by uwo, queens, and mac ontop of doing the summer courses.

Any opinions if its worthwhile throwing down over 3k for these courses in order to apply to these oop schools with mediocre ECs?

Thanks so much.

Honestly, as an OOP, while pre reqs make you eligible, they don't necessarily increase your chances of getting in overall. Especially if biochem ends up being one of your weaker marks (it was definitely one of mine). I think probably focusing on improving the MCAT is a more worthwhile exercise. If you do decide to take biochem, don't be afraid to take it at an 'easier' school (especially since it's in the summer, I think that's justified) and/or to complement it with some really easy courses (if you're in toronto, UTSC psych courses are unreal) to also boost your GPA at the same time. I wouldn't bank on the western schools just on the basis of a prereq

Honestly, as an OOP, while pre reqs make you eligible, they don't necessarily increase your chances of getting in overall. Especially if biochem ends up being one of your weaker marks (it was definitely one of mine). I think probably focusing on improving the MCAT is a more worthwhile exercise. If you do decide to take biochem, don't be afraid to take it at an 'easier' school (especially since it's in the summer, I think that's justified) and/or to complement it with some really easy courses (if you're in toronto, UTSC psych courses are unreal) to also boost your GPA at the same time. I wouldn't bank on the western schools just on the basis of a prereq

UBC counts summer courses towards GPA though unless it's in the year of application though. Only way around this would be to do it as your final year.

No point if your GPA and MCAT aren't amazing. The MCAT and GPA requirements for OOP at schools like Manitoba are way higher than what you need for interviews in Ontario. Unless you have a 37 or above there's no point for Manitoba or Saskatchewan.

Clarification please: 3.7 GPA or 37 MCAT? 37 MCAT seems pretty steep, even for OOP.

Check the stats for saskatchewan and manitoba. I think Saskatchewan was at least 36 MCAT with VR higher than 10 or at least 37 overall. Manitoba's lowest OOP probably was a 36 or 37 with a 4.4+ GPA by their calculation. Then again those two schools love the MCAT much more than the rest of Canada.

Archived