Premed 101 Forums

Greater Vancouver Radiology Elective?

Hi,

Future GP here, looking to do a 2 week rad elective.

From what I've heard, doing a rad elective at a big Vancouver hospital like VGH is not very beneficial because little teaching is done. Has anyone completed a rad elective in the Greater Vancouver area and had a good teaching experience?

Thanks!

Really depends on what are you are hoping to get out of a radiology elective. Since you are interested in pursuing family medicine, it is probably not worth your while to do something like Interventional Radiology. The most common tests you will be ordering as a family doc are likely to be ultrasound based, plain x-ray based, and CT based. Any community practice will give you that kind of exposure. You pretty much can't go wrong with emergency radiology I would think, it's broad and there is quite a bit of overlap between ER and family medicine.

VGH does have a lot of trainees that will be in line before you when it comes to education. However, they will have a lot of teaching rounds for you to attend and that can be very educational. Upsides and downsides to everything. Either way, I'm sure you will get something out of where ever you choose.

Archived