Premed 101 Forums

Couples match - some advice

Hey all,

What exactly is the deal for couples match? Say matching to a particular city isn't too important but the 2 people in the match are 1) gunning for a very competitive specialty (optho/derm), and 2) likes internal. Is this a difficult match?

Are there opportunities to match in separate cities that are close by (ie say one gets optho in Toronto and the other gets internal in London)?

Finally, does it hurt the chances of the partner trying for the very competitive specialty in a city if the other partner states they will go unmatched (in the worst case scenario)?

Just a few questions I had since the Carms website isn't very clear about couples statistics for specific instances - probably due to the small sample size.

Any tips would be great!

Thanks y'all :D

• 2 weeks later...

You rank all the possible combos.

For example:

Joe interviewed for:

UofT Gen Sx

UofT family

Queens Gen Sx

His partner Sue interviewed for:

UofT family

UofT derm

Queens family

Ottawa IM

Together they would submit a rank order list. It could look like:

1) joe: UofT GenSx and sue: UofT derm

2) joe: UofT family and sue: UofT derm

3) joe: UofT family and sue: UofT family

4) joe: Queens GenSx and sue ottawa IM

5) joe: queens GenSx and sue: queens family

6) joe: unmatched and sue: Ottawa IM

Regarding how CaRMS handles the couple's rank order, the same rules apply for this list as it would if it was a single person's rank order. Considering your fates are very much intertwined it is somewhat more risky. Say sue was UofT derm's first choice and she really wanted derm but joe bombed his interviews at UofT. In this example sue is outta luck and together they would automatically lose their top 3 choices as Joe did not match to UofT.

Regarding cities, you can rank any combo you want. The same CaRMS rules apply regarding management of the rank order list.

I have a limited sample size which includes myself, however everyone I know who couples matched had a successful outcome. So the system can certainly work out if you choose to take the risk.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the response. So it seems as if one person can choose to go unmatched if worst comes to worst... interesting. If someone does go unmatched, they will obviously try to match in the 2nd round, but if this fails too can they try to match again in the first round the following year?

Thanks again for the info, it's a lot to think about so early on but it's better to have an idea than to wait I think.

Thanks for the response. So it seems as if one person can choose to go unmatched if worst comes to worst... interesting. If someone does go unmatched, they will obviously try to match in the 2nd round, but if this fails too can they try to match again in the first round the following year?

Thanks again for the info, it's a lot to think about so early on but it's better to have an idea than to wait I think.

Yup... Being an unmatched member of a couple is no different than just being plain old unmatched.

Ok. Thanks for clarifying. So one last potential Q - is this a possible ROL?

Jonny - internal Toronto SuzieQ - optho Toronto

Jonny - family Toronto SuzieQ - optho Toronto

Jonny - internal Ottawa SuzieQ - optho Ottawa

Jonny - family Ottawa SuzieQ - optho Ottawa

Jonny - unmatched SuzieQ - optho Ottawa

You see the trend here x2 more cities....

This^ is assuming both partners interviewed at those schools, does this look okay?

Ok. Thanks for clarifying. So one last potential Q - is this a possible ROL?

Jonny - internal Toronto SuzieQ - optho Toronto

Jonny - family Toronto SuzieQ - optho Toronto

Jonny - internal Ottawa SuzieQ - optho Ottawa

Jonny - family Ottawa SuzieQ - optho Ottawa

Jonny - unmatched SuzieQ - optho Ottawa

You see the trend here x2 more cities....

This^ is assuming both partners interviewed at those schools, does this look okay?

The list should include possibilities with SuzieQ going unmatched, especially since there is a significant chance that this will happen and will screw over two people instead of one. In my opinion anyways.

Archived