Premed 101 Forums

Waterloo or Niagara Campus

Hamilton doesn't get bus passes

Waterloo Campus is gets Waterloo U's bus pass

I believe Niagara also gets Brock Bus passes (80% sure)

Niagara doesn't get Brock Bus passes unfortunately. Most people in Niagara choose to have a car as many things are spaced out and the buses can't always accommodate.

If you are considering Niagara, another awesome perk is free massages every other week on campus. :-)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Niagara doesn't get Brock Bus passes unfortunately. Most people in Niagara choose to have a car as many things are spaced out and the buses can't always accommodate.

If you are considering Niagara, another awesome perk is free massages every other week on campus. :-)

hahaha what a hilariously random perk. sounds awesome though.

On my interview day one of the student hosts said they are currently trying to get bus passes for Hamilton students in future years

It won't happen. Long story short, the undergrad student association would want every student in each year to pay. At most it would benefit 150/600 students at a time (you'll drive a car in clerkship + regional campus students wouldn't be exempt). Each year people who run for council exec promise it but its not a good deal for the student population as a whole unfortunately.

With Clin skills and tutorials at various locations most people get cars.

It won't happen. Long story short, the undergrad student association would want every student in each year to pay. At most it would benefit 150/600 students at a time (you'll drive a car in clerkship + regional campus students wouldn't be exempt). Each year people who run for council exec promise it but its not a good deal for the student population as a whole unfortunately.

With Clin skills and tutorials at various locations most people get cars.

How prevalent/necessary is this (the car), particularly in Hamilton? I imagine you get to most of the hospitals in Hamilton fairly easily right?

How prevalent/necessary is this (the car), particularly in Hamilton? I imagine you get to most of the hospitals in Hamilton fairly easily right?

From the handful of people I talked to, it really seems like you'll need a car in Hamilton. Can anyone at Mac corroborate this? I'd love to be wrong about this.

I'm probably not the best to comment on this seeing as I was only in Hamilton for 3 months but you can survive without one preclerkship but it is super handy to have one. Most things will be solved with carpooling if you dont.

It depends where you live in Hamilton. If you want to live close to Campus, most hospitals are fairly difficult to bus too.

From the handful of people I talked to, it really seems like you'll need a car in Hamilton. Can anyone at Mac corroborate this? I'd love to be wrong about this.

I know several people in Hamilton who have gone without a car so far since starting in September. As long as you live along the bus system in Hamilton, getting to campus isn't very challenging. Getting to some of the hospitals/clinical skills can be a bit more difficult, but there are other people in your group who can give you rides etc. By the time you hit clerkship, though, it's basically a necessity

I know several people in Hamilton who have gone without a car so far since starting in September. As long as you live along the bus system in Hamilton, getting to campus isn't very challenging. Getting to some of the hospitals/clinical skills can be a bit more difficult, but there are other people in your group who can give you rides etc. By the time you hit clerkship, though, it's basically a necessity

Would you say the same is also true for the regional campuses? Or does one need a car right from first year while studying in Niagara or Waterloo?

Thanks in advance

Would you say the same is also true for the regional campuses? Or does one need a car right from first year while studying in Niagara or Waterloo?

Thanks in advance

From what I heard a car is really useful if on the regional campuses, especially for the first few months when you have to commute to Hamilton. Also, you will need to travel to Hamilton for several mandatory events and other things.

I was told you can carpool and get rides, so a car isn't necessary but highly recommended for regional campuses.

From what I heard a car is really useful if on the regional campuses, especially for the first few months when you have to commute to Hamilton. Also, you will need to travel to Hamilton for several mandatory events and other things.

I was told you can carpool and get rides, so a car isn't necessary but highly recommended for regional campuses.

Arguably it is less necessary to have a car at regional campuses. All our tutorials are always at our building. It does make going to and from hamilton easier though but any mandatory hamilton events the school will provide transportation.

The one thing where a car comes in handy is our family med placement during our first unit. The offices are sometimes difficult to get to and you could have to travel with them.

Being at a regional campus, I can say this isn't entirely accurate. It's important to note you don't HAVE to commute to Hamilton. Most people live there for the first few months, but commuting is an option depending on your personal preferences. Most mandatory events in Hamilton have transport provided by the school, so it's actually pretty easy to get by without a car during pre-clerkship (with the exception of family med placement being a bit tricky sometimes).

It's not the first few months that make it handy to have a car for regional campuses, it's once you're here (for Niagara at least). St Catharines isn't the most convenient place to live without a car, and the bus transit is pretty awful (the bus from campus to the hospital literally takes over an hour for what should only be a 10 minute drive). There are people getting by just with carpooling for pre-clerkship (I did it for a few weeks and it was do-able, but annoying), but I really would not recommend it for clerkship. Hamilton I'd say a car is less necessary because HSR (the Hamilton bus system) is pretty decent and can be used to reach many different hospitals / campus.

People at any campus may also find themselves really wanting a car for their Family med placement, since even the Hamilton campus spans out pretty far (some people had Oakville, Burlington, etc), but that's only 1 day a week for 6 weeks. But the same sort of thing will definitely come up again for clerkship.

In terms of Niagara bus passes, we don't get one for free, but I know someone was able to buy into the Brock pass.

It's not the first few months that make it handy to have a car for regional campuses, it's once you're here (for Niagara at least). St Catharines isn't the most convenient place to live without a car, and the bus transit is pretty awful (the bus from campus to the hospital literally takes over an hour for what should only be a 10 minute drive). There are people getting by just with carpooling for pre-clerkship (I did it for a few weeks and it was do-able, but annoying), but I really would not recommend it for clerkship. Hamilton I'd say a car is less necessary because HSR (the Hamilton bus system) is pretty decent and can be used to reach many different hospitals / campus.

People at any campus may also find themselves really wanting a car for their Family med placement, since even the Hamilton campus spans out pretty far (some people had Oakville, Burlington, etc), but that's only 1 day a week for 6 weeks. But the same sort of thing will definitely come up again for clerkship.

In terms of Niagara bus passes, we don't get one for free, but I know someone was able to buy into the Brock pass.

AH okay... I really want to go to one of the regional campuses, but I won't have a car for at least the first year of school. Would it be best for me to stick to Hamilton then, or have car-less students been able to make it through most of medical school in one of the regional campuses?

Thank you for the replies, everyone!

AH okay... I really want to go to one of the regional campuses, but I won't have a car for at least the first year of school. Would it be best for me to stick to Hamilton then, or have car-less students been able to make it through most of medical school in one of the regional campuses?

Yup, you can totally go without a car at a regional campus. I hardly use mine. with the Family med placement, everyone regardless of campus has to get somewhere difficult.

Clerkship is a whole nother beast though and you will need one for it.

I certainly didn't mean to imply that you can't do first year at a regional campus without a car. In St Catharines it would be a bit of a pain at times, but for me I walk to campus, so at most it's once a week that I need to go somewhere off campus for school stuff, and whenever that's happening the rest of my tutorial group is going too, so it's easy enough to arrange carpools. I mainly use my car for grocery shopping, socializing, etc. And as said there's a handful without cars and they get by. But here in Niagara for clerkship (so November of 2nd year on) it's pretty much necessary.

I was wondering if anybody could comment on the availability of specialties and sub-specialties at the two regional campuses? Are some specialties hard to get for clerkship at a certain campus? (e.g., radiology, derm, clinical neuro, genetics, etc). Thanks!!

I was wondering if anybody could comment on the availability of specialties and sub-specialties at the two regional campuses? Are some specialties hard to get for clerkship at a certain campus? (e.g., radiology, derm, clinical neuro, genetics, etc). Thanks!!

Those aren't core rotations so you would be doing them as electives regardless. If you are going for competitive specialties (derm and rads) you will be doing electives at schools across canada.

With respect to Rads in which I also have an interest, we have one of the best radiologist teachers (in my opinion) in Waterloo. He teaches our radiology anatomy and is an absolutely phenomenal teacher.

With respect to Rads in which I also have an interest, we have one of the best radiologist teachers in my opinion in Waterloo. He teach our radiology anatomy and is an absolutely phenomenal teacher.

I can second this!! He is wonderful

Do you still have lectures and evaluations during clerkship and what shows up on your transcript? Still just a descriptive paragraph written by your supervisor?

I just realized this is in the completely wrong thread, my bad.

Lectures: Yes/No We do have integrated learning outside the hospitals we attend including some lectures but my understanding is that most of it is still small group learning.

Evaluations: Yup we have them but I think its still just a paragraph.

Honestly, they're all good - you're not going to have a bad experience/get a bad/subpar education at any of the three. It's really a matter of personal preference.

If I didn't have personal ties making Hamilton the best choice for me, I would have preferred a regional campus - I love the idea of the small class size, all of the admin staff knowing me, being able to set up electives more easily because there are fewer learners trying for the same spots, etc. That being said, if you want to be in a bigger city, if you don't like the idea of only having 28 people in your class, if you want to be at the site where most of the interest group meetings happen, if you don't want to have to videoconference lectures, etc, then Hamilton is probably a better choice for you. You really can't go wrong with any of the three.

...and also, Niagara has wine country and cross border shopping, if you're into that. Haha.

Archived