Premed 101 Forums

Public Health Elective?

Can anyone suggest a good location for a public health elective? I am looking for a place where you get to work closely with a Medical Officer of Health or public health physician to get a good idea of what their job is actually like, since I'm interested in the specialty.

I would like to avoid electives where I will only be passively observing, doing a lot of work with non-MD professionals, or mostly just "educational tours" of different institutions/community outreach sites. That would still be a cool experience of course, but it's not what I'm looking for right now.

I'm particularly interested in Calgary and Vancouver, and would be curious to hear about anyone's experiences in those cities. Thanks!

I'm not sure how you'd go about setting up that kind of elective, but I'd get in touch with the electives coordinators at UBC and UofC first. PM me if you'd like details of the work/lifestyle to the extent I can help.

Vancouver would probably be more interesting, though, especially because of the advanced state of harm reduction programs there. I did get an opportunity once to check out InSite, though admittedly that was something of an "educational tour". ;)

Archived