Premed 101 Forums

!st year undergrad

So first year is coming to a close, and the marks are as follows.

First sem:

Program gpa: 3.9

overall gpa: 3.86

2nd sem so far...

bio: 3.9

physics:4

psychology:4

chemistry:3.9

math: the highest mark i can attain is a 3.09 and I have 2 days to drop it with no penalty on my transcript...

Should i drop math and retake it and ace it?

So the highest you can achieve is a B-? If that means that there's a strong possibility for you getting in the C-range then I suggest to drop it and retake it in summer if it's difficult for you. Try to get at least a B+ or A- in it, since it's considered a core science for a lot of dental schools. In the grand scheme of things, should you not get into a Canadian school, at least you'll be guaranteed to get into an American school.

^ Sorry, I believe a B converts to a 3.0. Still, if you are at risk of getting a C+/B- range I suggest the same thing.

As well, if you do end up getting a grade in the B-/C+ range it will kill your overall year's avg. and essentially nullify it from being competitive for a lot of Canadian schools. Whereas being half a course short would only cause a slight penalty in most instances. If you were to achieve at least a B+ in it I'd say continue on.

That's my suggestion.

First sem:

2nd sem so far...

math: the highest mark i can attain is a 3.09 and I have 2 days to drop it with no penalty on my transcript...

Drop it like it's hot

Thanks for the suggestive input and clever snoop dog inference, however anyone here with experience with half a course dropped, and retaken later in year 2?

personally i would not drop the mark since its your first year... if u apply to any dental school that year will be dropped... not worth the 'non-full course load' penalty if u ask me.

the small penalty is applied to THAT year if im not correct, so a small penalty on a 3.95ish gpa vs a 3.7 gpa full course load...

Anyone know how western calculates your marks, and the penalty for having 4 courses instead of 5 for 1 semester?

Western calculates your admission average by taking the average of your best two years in %. I don't think anyone knows how much Western deducts if you don't have a full course load, but according to some previous posts it seems like it can be quite substantial. Also, I'm not sure if the penalty is applied to that specific year or your admission average in general, regardless if that non-full course load year is one of your best two years. I would email Western and ask, as this can possibly have quite a big effect on your application a few years down the road -- especially in this ultracompetitive environment.

I've emailed both admissions at UofT and UWO asking about full course load. For UofT, you would have not been impacted if you had dropped. They don't have any full course requirements. As for Western, if you had dropped, you cannot use that year in your best two admissions average. The penalty only applies if your best two years do not have a full course load; does not matter whether or not your other years do.

By dropping; you increase your chances at UofT, but you make UWO harder since you have to buckle down the next three years

By not dropping; you decreases your chances at UofT, but you may or may not use your first year average as part of admissions (if it's high enough then you can use it) for UWO

I would drop it.

First sem:

2nd sem so far...

Archived