Premed 101 Forums

Books for rads residents?

Standard intro book for radiology residents is "Fundamentals of Diagnostic Radiology" by Brant & Helms.

Reading before PGY-2 is a waste of time. You wont remember anything. I'd focus on learning anatomy if you want to be productive in PGY-1. At the start of PGY-2, not knowing what something is on an x-ray or CT is OK, but getting asked questions on anatomy is fair game. Or better yet, don't read and ENJOY your PGY-1 year.

Ian Wong posted a pretty comprehensive list somewhere in this forum too.

That being said, there are a ton of great resources out there, in online, ebook, and print formats, with more being released each year. Lots of free online resources (http://www.radiologyeducation.com is a great starting point), and many university and hospital libraries are well-stocked with books as well as e-library subscriptions. Many programs also subscribe to RadPrimer, which is an online curriculum with interactive questions.

So, you don't need to buy anything at the outset, and can try different formats to see what works for you. For example, Brant & Helms is the standard recommendation, and many do use and like it, but personally I found it not detailed enough for understanding when starting out, and not detailed enough at the end, so ended up using it very little.

I agree with the recommendation to brush up on radiologic anatomy. My other suggestion would be to try doing some tutorials and online cases - I started doing ACR Case in Point and Aunt Minnie case of the day (the latter is more variable in quality, but still helpful to see more cases) the last couple months of PGY-1, and found this very helpful in hitting the ground running in PGY-2.

Archived