Premed 101 Forums

Dean's Desk 2014

From the Dean's desk listserv as circulated to NOSM staff, faculty and students.

---------------------------------------

This past weekend and next weekend are the interview weekends for applicants to the 2014 intake to the NOSM MD program. In all, 321 individuals have been called for interview over the two weekends selected from the 2115 applications received for 64 available places. This confirms the competitive nature of securing a place as a medical student with NOSM. 59% of those interviewed this year are females. Amongst the 321, there are 62 (19%) self-identified as Francophone and 35 (11%) self-identified as Aboriginal. Following from the interviews, the Admissions Committee will assess all the information on these candidates in the lead up to sending out first round offers to 64 selected candidates on May 15. Orientation week for our 2014 first year class begins on August 25.

Interviewing 320 plus applicants over two weekends is a huge logistical exercise and a major challenge for all involved. It is also of great importance to the School as the process is as much about inspiring applicants that this is the medical school for them, as it is about selecting which of them will be offered places in the NOSM MD program. Many students, faculty and staff members, as well as individuals from the communities of Northern Ontario (not just Sudbury and Thunder Bay), contribute considerable time and effort to the success of the interview weekends. Thank you to all of you for your participation in this process which is very important to the School. Congratulations to Dr Owen Prowse, Assistant Dean Admissions, Miriam Cain, Director Admissions and Learner Recruitment, Julie Pacifico, Admissions Officer and the whole team on the success of the selection and admissions process.

Dr. Roger Strasser AM

Professor of Rural Health

Dean and CEO

Northern Ontario School of Medicine

------------------

Beef

I find the stats on the percentage of women to men interviewing interesting. seemed like a nice 50/50 split in my group while my friend said in his on Saturday it was an 80/20 split.

I also know one person didn't show up that was supposed to be in on my circuit, so one more person down haha.

Regardless thanks to everyone for their time with the interview weekend.

And thanks for posting this Beef

Archived