Premed 101 Forums

MCAT SN2ed Schedule

sg17

Hi All, I was planning to give the MCAT in July/August this summer (This is my first time writing the MCAT). I was wondering has anyone followed the 3-month SN2ed schedule in the recent years had good results? Any tips?

Are there any other schedules that people recommend? Ideally I am looking to self-study, but just not sure where to start.

Thanks!

Thanks for your replies everyone!

Skip the hat tricks and replace with TPR SW passages or content review. In retrospective analysis, replace BR Bio with TPR SW. Also make a list of every error you make, then review that list of errors (people tend to make the same errors over and over).

Just wondering why TPR SW over BR Bio?

I'm not the person who said that, but I personally think BR anything is WAY more detailed than needed, especially as the MCAT moves farther and farther away from straight memorization.

I opened those books, freaked out at the level of detail, and switched to TPR.

I read each of the chapters twice, did about 3/4 of the SW and did all the practice tests. I got a 38.

I'm sure BR is great, but I don't think it's the be all end all that some people think it is.

You will get tested on content that is actually relevant and possible to answer.

BR's skill is taking the passages from old MCAT tests and incorporating them as information to be learned in the books. This works really well for physics and chemistry where you learn the actual MCAT tricks (and in some cases get tested on nearly the exact same questions on test day that would've been ridiculous to answer had you not encountered it before); however for bio it becomes too overwhelming.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm not the person who said that, but I personally think BR anything is WAY more detailed than needed, especially as the MCAT moves farther and farther away from straight memorization.

I opened those books, freaked out at the level of detail, and switched to TPR.

I read each of the chapters twice, did about 3/4 of the SW and did all the practice tests. I got a 38.

I'm sure BR is great, but I don't think it's the be all end all that some people think it is.

Hey, is it possible to know which TPR books you used? There seem to be so many I don't know where to start. I'm re-doing the MCAT this summer and really need a good concise set of books!

Hey, is it possible to know which TPR books you used? There seem to be so many I don't know where to start. I'm re-doing the MCAT this summer and really need a good concise set of books!

I used the old, PDF versions of the Princeton review subject books that are floating around. (the ones that are separate for each subject, not the big one).

Most important for me though was the science workbook. You can technically only get that in their courses but you can buy them on Abe books or amazon. That was invaluable, thousands of relevant practice problems.

Honestly, if you have that workbook, it doesn't really matter what you use for content.

I used the old, PDF versions of the Princeton review subject books that are floating around. (the ones that are separate for each subject, not the big one).

Most important for me though was the science workbook. You can technically only get that in their courses but you can buy them on Abe books or amazon. That was invaluable, thousands of relevant practice problems.

Honestly, if you have that workbook, it doesn't really matter what you use for content.

Awesome thank you so much. Do you have any tips for verbal as well?

Awesome thank you so much. Do you have any tips for verbal as well?

I'm not the best person to give tips on verbal since I was luckily naturally good at it. I started out at 11 and just went up from there. But I'll try.

I think over strategizing for verbal can be detrimental. Just read the passage with a "medium" amount of focus: not trying to memorize anything, but don't tune out and skim either. Then for the questions, immediately eliminate as many wrong answers as possible, but try to accept that you might have to guess between two answers. That's hard to do as a science student, but it's necessary. Similarly, try to tone down your scientific skepticism. It will only get in your way. Verbal isn't always logical.

That's probably not that helpful, but oh well.

Archived