Premed 101 Forums

Importance of an honours degree

The deadline for registering for next year's enrolment is coming up soon for me (2nd year in undergrad at uwo) and I'm planning to do a major in medical science and a minor in writing studies. My concern is though that it won't lead me to an honours degree and I don't know if PT/OT will have a bias against me.

I know some other grad school programs require an honours degree. I did my research and none of the schools explicitly say so..they only list a four year bachelor degree.

For those of you that are applying, or have applied and are currently in the programs, do you have an honours degree? Do you think it's important?

In terms of OT, it is not important. However, I think that a fairly strong research background is valued by every school, and it can also help to have research experience if you want great references - another important part of your application to any grad school. But an honours degree is not the only way to go about getting that experience. Just make sure you're well-rounded, are in good academic standing, have a variety of experience and strong references that believe that this field is right for you, and you'll be golden.

In terms of OT, it is not important. However, I think that a fairly strong research background is valued by every school, and it can also help to have research experience if you want great references - another important part of your application to any grad school. But an honours degree is not the only way to go about getting that experience. Just make sure you're well-rounded, are in good academic standing, have a variety of experience and strong references that believe that this field is right for you, and you'll be golden.

Thanks for the reply :)

I'm mostly worried because the people I'll be graduating with will most likely have honours degrees with either an honours specialization or a double major.. schools like western that solely looks at GPA probably won't care about my degree but others that look at overall application first might.

You talked about ot, but do you know anything about pt in regards to this?

Thanks for the reply :)

I'm mostly worried because the people I'll be graduating with will most likely have honours degrees with either an honours specialization or a double major.. schools like western that solely looks at GPA probably won't care about my degree but others that look at overall application first might.

You talked about ot, but do you know anything about pt in regards to this?

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I think the more important thing for most schools is that you have a good gpa and lots of experience.

I only applied to OT so i'm probably not the best person to comment on the PT process, but two of my friends were admitted to UBC PT last year without an honours degree, so i would think it's probably not a big deal if you don't do honours for PT.

Archived