Premed 101 Forums

Two Questions: Formulae + GPA Equivalency

Greetings!

As a prospective applicant for the coming cycle, I'd really appreciate any help with the following two questions:

1. With respect to the scoring of individual components: are MCAT and AGPA simply divided by the max possible score (15 and 4.5, respectively) to get a %-value, or are they processed in a more complex manner?

2. Does the UofM Med Office use 'Canadian GPA Equivalency Table C' (http://umanitoba.ca/faculties/graduate_studies/admin/570.html) for converting transcripts from institutions that cap letter grades at "A"?

This information would be very useful for any applicants who wish to assess their competitiveness in the context of past admissions statistics. Thank you in advance for your assistance! :)

Pre-interview ranking:

(27.3%AGPA + 72.7%MCAT®) X (rural co-efficient if >0) X (academic co-efficient if >0)

Where .375(VR) + .25(PS) + .375(BS) = operative MCAT® score

And AGPA details are spelled out here: http://umanitoba.ca/faculties/medicine/admissions/agpa.html

Post-interview ranking:

(15%AGPA + 40%MCAT® + 45%MMI) X (rural co-efficient if >0) X (academic co-efficient if >0)

Presumably they do Z-scores, so that elements with greater variance are normalized, although the specifics of that aren't released.

Thank you very much for the prompt and helpful reply! :)

To quote Q8 from the webpage I was directed to:

8. If my school is on a 4.0 system rather than a 4.5 system for grades, how is my AGPA calculated?

If you are able to have your grades on your transcript converted into percentages by your institute, we will assign grade points according to the percentages rather than the letter grade. However, if your institute is unable to provide this conversion on your transcript, we are required to use the letter grade assigned on your transcript as this is the official document provided by your institution.

Has anybody applying from McGill (Where 85% and above = A) been successful in converting their AGPA to a value above 4.0? Replies are greatly appreciated!

Thank you very much for the prompt and helpful reply! :)

To quote Q8 from the webpage I was directed to:

8. If my school is on a 4.0 system rather than a 4.5 system for grades, how is my AGPA calculated?

If you are able to have your grades on your transcript converted into percentages by your institute, we will assign grade points according to the percentages rather than the letter grade. However, if your institute is unable to provide this conversion on your transcript, we are required to use the letter grade assigned on your transcript as this is the official document provided by your institution.

Has anybody applying from McGill (Where 85% and above = A) been successful in converting their AGPA to a value above 4.0? Replies are greatly appreciated!

Ya I did. I dono how they factor it if they do. All I know is there are 3 McGillians in my class and at least 2 in the year below. 4/5 are OOP so don't sweat it. The MCAT is worth more as is being rural. Good luck

Thanks for your input! My MCAT turned out favourably (13.25/15); depending on how my AGPA is processed, however, it could be anywhere from 3.94 (grades capped at 4.0 :() to 4.25 (applying Table C :rolleyes:). The former might put me on shaky ground since this year's minimum AGPA for OOP II was 3.97...

Definitely going to give it a shot regardless! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived