Premed 101 Forums

Looking for honest advice

Hello,

I'm glad I come across this Board as I've enjoying reading all of your comments/suggestions.

I think my situation is slightly different and I'm hoping to gain honest insight, advice and direction.

I'm looking into Physiotherapy as a 2nd career option. I have a General BA, I'm 35 years old with two little kids. I'm hoping to take the next 2-3 years to take the required prerequisites on a part-time basis via distance ed. I've already secured volunteer work and will be job shadowing PT and OT in the near future. In the meanwhile I've spent a significant amount of time doing research and talking to those in the industry. I'm almost hoping that someone would talk me out of wanting to pursue this.

Here are my questions/concerns:

• Can I complete the prerequisites as "non-degree" courses, or do I need to obtain my "honours equivalency" in order to be considered?
  • Can the "non-degree" courses be completed via various Universitites? or should I stick to one?
  • Since I don't have a Science background, would I be considered as a candidate, or am I wasting my time?
  • Are the prerequisites (such as anatomy, biology) challanging? I have all the sociology, stats and psychology credits but would like to also increase my GPA
  • Lastly, is this crazy? Am I being naive thinking that I can be a successful candidate at the age of almost 40 by the time I graduate? (provided I get
    accepted)

Thank you.

Well, I can answer one of your question: I'll turn 35 this coming September and as a second career, I'm going back full time (leaving my very well paying job behind) to study PT at Sherbrooke's University (in Quebec). There is no age limit and as they told me when I applied, my life experience will make me a positive difference (more empathy), so shouldn't be a problem finding work!

If it's your dream, I would suggest that you don't let people around you tell you it's crazy!

Good luck!

Hi,

First of all, I totally agree with FreddyHeff, it's never too late to start something new! :)

Based on my experience, it's fine to take non-degree courses to increase your GPA and to fulfill the prerequisites. These non-degree courses don't have to be from one university. I took my courses from two universities. Make sure you check the instruction on the program's official website. They usually mention that they accept online education like Athabasca U. I'm pretty sure that it doesn't matter which undergrad major you have obtained, as long as you meet the GPA and you have all the prerequisites. Biology/anatomy courses are not hard to understand, just may have quite a bit memorization work. You'll be fine. :)

Make sure you check out each university's PT/OT website for accurate admission requirements. Good luck!

Thank you!

That is very encouraging. I know I have the personality fit, determination and passion to pursue this line of work.

Is there anything else I should/could be doing to prepare? (other then volunteering). Is it possible to gain p/t employment in the filed? if so, what type of work could I apply for?

I'm a Marketing Manager living in Whistler, with limited job opportunities really in Marketing or Health Care.... so doing p/t schooling is the best option for me now while I raise my kids.

I'm only able to answer a few of your questions, but I hope they help.

You don't need a science background. Most of the people will have a kinesiology/health/bio background, but there are a number of people who don't. You will still be considered a candidate as long as you have the GPA and the prerequisites.

The prerequisites like anatomy and biology may be challenging depending on the person (and the professor), but I can say from experience that having knowledge about anatomy and biology before you enter the program will help you a lot!

The trend everywhere seems to be that GPA cutoffs rise every year, so aim as high as you can.

It's not crazy. Most people will be 21/22 years old, but there will be a range of ages from 21 to 40+. So don't let age deter you. There are also people who are married with/without kids.

Something else for you to consider: PT programs are usually full-time programs, and the hours you need to be in school will vary depending on the university. For example, U of T will want you in school 8-4 every weekday (almost), while McMaster emphasizes independent learning so you might have some days off (meant for studying).

Archived