Premed 101 Forums

Cold-emailing for research

Mithcah

Hi everyone, I'm a medical student who's been trying to look for summer research, and so far I've had no luck. I was thinking about cold-emailing profs and offering to work without pay, but I just wanted to ask, do you guys think it's a good idea to include in my initial email that I would be willing to work for free? Or should I just continue emailing asking for positions without specifying paid or unpaid? I'm mostly interested in doing some sort of research this summer, not really in the $, but I'm wondering if there's some disadvantage to unpaid research e.g. doesn't look as good on CaRMS, relegated to menial work, no chance of pubs, etc.?

If there are any ways to get into research this late other than through the school programs and through cold-emailing, I'd appreciate your help on that as well. Thanks for your advice!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi everyone, I'm a medical student who's been trying to look for summer research, and so far I've had no luck. I was thinking about cold-emailing profs and offering to work without pay, but I just wanted to ask, do you guys think it's a good idea to include in my initial email that I would be willing to work for free? Or should I just continue emailing asking for positions without specifying paid or unpaid? I'm mostly interested in doing some sort of research this summer, not really in the $, but I'm wondering if there's some disadvantage to unpaid research e.g. doesn't look as good on CaRMS, relegated to menial work, no chance of pubs, etc.?

If there are any ways to get into research this late other than through the school programs and through cold-emailing, I'd appreciate your help on that as well. Thanks for your advice!

I think it is too late for this summer, are you studying medicine abroad? It would seem weird if a Canadian medical student would have trouble looking for summer research.

• 1 month later...

Hi, this advise is a bit late, but maybe it will help you next year. I am only familiar with basic science research (that focuses on translational medicine). I am not sure if you are interested in that or clinical research. Usually to get a good and/or paid summer research position you should email the PIs that you are interested in working with in January, so they can help you obtain funding for your summer research. Also, if they do not respond after 2 weeks, feel free to email again to remind them of your interest, some times you might have caught them at a busy period.

Cold emailing is fine, a lot of students do that in the lab that I work at. Make sure to read the papers the lab has published in the last 2-3 years and build your rationale about why you are interested in working in their lab around that. Also be professional, write a cover letter, attach CV, etc.

I do not recommend stating that you are ok with unpaid research off the bat, only mention it if the PI said that they can not fund you. It also would look nicer on your CV to have funding for your summer research since the PI may apply for a grant with you to fund your project (mine does that for every summer student).

Hope this helps! Good luck with your summer research search.

Archived