Premed 101 Forums

Starting a CV early

Starting med next year (deferred acceptance), and already thinking about Carms haha

I've been told it's a good idea to start making a CV/resume early for Carms purposes (and to use if you need it for things like research/jobs along the way) and just update it as you go along med school

My question is: in what format is the CV needed for Carms applications (i.e. what sections do they ask for, or what sections are good to have)?

If you Google "medical school example CV" or something like that, you'll get a bunch of examples.

The exact format probably doesn't matter so much as making sure you have everything you have done written down. You can reformat quite easily, but it's hard to remember the details of activities and involvements years down the road.

My current sections are Research, Volunteer Activities, Elective Rotations, Educational Activities, and Extracurricular Activities, and then I have a section for professional memberships (OMA, CMA etc.)

I have some non-medical/non-volunteering stuff on my CV under "extracurriculars". If you think you could talk about it at an interview in an interesting way, you should put it on. Showing that you have a life/interests outside of medicine is important too.

Observerships I didn't put - most observerships tend to be pretty short. I had some longer duration ones, but I didn't list them either - I'd probably talk about them if asked about my specialty choice, but they didn't really seem CV-worthy to me.

Archived