Premed 101 Forums

CARMS question - any advice

Hey guys, was wondering if I could get some advice or info by some of you more experienced with the CARMS process.

My situation is a little special. After having good and decent grades in my first year of medical school, I encountered some personal/family/and health issues which greatly impacted my academic life. I ended up failing that first exam/class of the year, which was the first time I had ever failed an exam. Despite seeking professional help, I decided to pursue my studies, as I wasn't gonna let the bad stuff in my life affecting my future as a doctor. I ended passing all the other units for the year, with decent grades and havent had any issues with evaluation whatsoever since the dark 2011-12 moments.

I decided, in conjonction with the my program directors, to repeat my second year. Since these rougher times, almost 3 years ago, things have been back to normal for me. My 2nd, 2nd year went by very well, and so far in clerkship I've been getting stellar evaluations/comments/LOR etc...I also have the support of the Dean's office, who accepted to explain my situation in an official letter when the CARMS process will begin in the FALL.

I'm just basically wondering where do I stand in terms of my chances in getting in any other program than Family Med. I know that a repeat of a year is a clear Red Flag on one's file, but I was wondering if what happened in 2011 could be compensated by proof of steady academic performance before/after the rough times, as well as a great/above average clerkship performance, and clear explanations on a letter of intent. I'm not ashame of the extra year I had to take, I'm actually proud of my passing through those tougher times, but at the same time, I do know I will start the CARMS process behind my peers.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks !

Heed warning: I don't think anybody on here is a program director, so any answer you get may only be speculation, and people trying to make you feel better. Maybe someone will have real anecdotal examples for you.

Nonetheless, best advice is invest a good amount of time in perfecting your CV, program letters, and if the avenue is available, try explaining your situation. Carms is all about selling yourself.

Archived