Premed 101 Forums

Non-Hospital Psychiatry Practice

Hi, I was wondering how realistic is it to practice psychiatry in a personal clinic instead of a hospital, if so, what are some alternatives of psychiatry outside of hospitals?

Thanks!

Completely possible and quite common.

There are tons of psychs here practicing in the community - some operate by referral and have their own roster of patients doing psychotherapy and/or medications and their own office, and some are attached to a family practice or community health centre doing one time consults or shared care, some do a combination.

Psychiatry may in fact be the easiest specialty there is for practise outside of a hospital. You can often get by with less equipment and staff than other specialties. Add that to the huge demand almost everywhere and you can pull this off easily.

Always wondered how community psychiatrists handle call arrangements if they're not affiliated with a particular hospital. In my mid-sized city, most of the psychs are affiliated with an academic teaching center and they share group call. Some have purely outpatient practices, but they still do periodic emergency/crisis intervention call. Not sure how this might work in a larger or smaller community, though. Any insights?

Psychiatry may in fact be the easiest specialty there is for practise outside of a hospital. You can often get by with less equipment and staff than other specialties. Add that to the huge demand almost everywhere and you can pull this off easily.

To clarify, if psychiatrists were to practice outside of hospitals, is it still covered by the public medical insurance or is it more of a private practice where psychiatrists need to build their own niche of patients, akin to psychologists? Would the isolation of the clinic cause lack of patients?

I also assume that medication is also covered, just like in the hospitals, am I correct?

Thanks!

Like any other outpatient physician, you would be able to bill provincial health insurance for appointments, but you'd have to find your own patients. Still, so many people need psychiatrists that I think you'd probably manage okay.

Medication is never covered for outpatients.

I'd be interested to know how community psychiatrists starting a new practice recruit patients though.

I'd be interested to know how community psychiatrists starting a new practice recruit patients though.

Send an email to family doctors offices that you have openings in under 3 months and have people to answer the phones as your practice fills up with referrals.

Send an email to family doctors offices that you have openings in under 3 months and have people to answer the phones as your practice fills up with referrals.

Seriously, just go to your colleagues and say "I AM ACCEPTING NEW PATIENTS" and you'll have a case load in a week. You'll probably have really crappy patients, but you'll be full.

Archived