Premed 101 Forums

Pharmacy to Medical School

Hello!

I am just wondering if anyone has any information regarding if a Pharmacist can apply to medical school?

Will the grades in pharmacy count towards the med GPA?

Is this a viable plan considering the difficulty of the pharmacy program?

When is the best time to fit in pre-requisites such as Physics II?

Thanks!

You can most definitely apply from Pharmacy to Med School. Yes, the grades will count (sadly), so it's tougher than applying from Sciences, IMO. I'd only recommend it if you would be happy being a Pharmacist, if Medicine doesn't work out (and I'd say... go with that mind-set anyways). If you go into Pharmacy knowing you don't like it, stay in BSc. program. As for pre-requisites, do them in your science degree (or spring/summer). Most people go into Pharmacy after 2 years in University but the pre-reqs only take a year.

Personally, I applied to Med School this year (3rd year), and while I would go into Medicine if given the opportunity, I would be satisfied being a Pharmacist too...so I feel less pressure/nervous, as a result...if that makes any sense. I wanted to do Pharmacy in high school and undergrad, but started seriously considering Medicine around the end of my 2nd year of University (~March-April). However, I don't regret my choice of going into Pharmacy at all. You get to learn real life, applicable stuff and get to apply it too, and with the autonomy Pharmacists have in Alberta (ability to prescribe, order lab tests, do injections etc... if given the right setting, it is just as rewarding/challenging/fun as Medicine). *Keep in mind that it is just what I think though... of course, people have different views about that. ;)

Good luck with whatever you choose! :)

You can most definitely apply from Pharmacy to Med School. Yes, the grades will count (sadly), so it's tougher than applying from Sciences, IMO. I'd only recommend it if you would be happy being a Pharmacist, if Medicine doesn't work out (and I'd say... go with that mind-set anyways). If you go into Pharmacy knowing you don't like it, stay in BSc. program. As for pre-requisites, do them in your science degree (or spring/summer). Most people go into Pharmacy after 2 years in University but the pre-reqs only take a year.

Personally, I applied to Med School this year (3rd year), and while I would go into Medicine if given the opportunity, I would be satisfied being a Pharmacist too...so I feel less pressure/nervous, as a result...if that makes any sense. I wanted to do Pharmacy in high school and undergrad, but started seriously considering Medicine around the end of my 2nd year of University (~March-April). However, I don't regret my choice of going into Pharmacy at all. You get to learn real life, applicable stuff and get to apply it too, and with the autonomy Pharmacists have in Alberta (ability to prescribe, order lab tests, do injections etc... if given the right setting, it is just as rewarding/challenging/fun as Medicine). *Keep in mind that it is just what I think though... of course, people have different views about that. ;)

Good luck with whatever you choose! :)

Thanks for the reply!

Additionally, I was wondering about the best time to apply.... Do you think it would be more beneficial to wait to finish the degree (potentially 5-6 years of school for a degree) or rather apply during the school year?

Would the medical admissions committee look unfavorably at someone applying half way through the program? ( loss of gov't funding)

Also, would pharmacy related activities count as valid EC's?

Thanks for the reply!

Additionally, I was wondering about the best time to apply.... Do you think it would be more beneficial to wait to finish the degree (potentially 5-6 years of school for a degree) or rather apply during the school year?

Would the medical admissions committee look unfavorably at someone applying half way through the program? ( loss of gov't funding)

Also, would pharmacy related activities count as valid EC's?

Sorry for interfering again, but based on what I know about Alfredsson in person, it might be beneficial to get into pharmacy once you have a solid GPA because you can still apply for med school with a good mark and not be too concerned with the lowering of GPA once you're in pharmacy. Alfredsson did really well in sciences so now he can try for med and not have pharmacy GPA affect too much. So proud of him :) *pinches cheeks*...so yeah, consider doing that.

Now, back to Alfredsson...

There are some pharmacists or former pharmacy students in our class. It is definitely possible. Be sure to give a solid explanation for the career change in the application essays and/or interviews, especially if you are applying mid-program. Also be aware of pass/fail credits as those might affect your eligibility for certain weighing formulas for some schools. It might also be harder to get a good GPA in professional schools, pharmacy or otherwise.

Without a doubt it is possible. In my opinion, a pharmacy degree is perhaps the best undergrad preparation for medical school. A doctor who possess in-depth knowledge of all those drug interactions becomes even a greater asset to their patients. If I were to do it over again, I probably would have done an undergrad in pharmacy. Seriously, all the BS I have learned in upper year science courses is not really relevant at all to medicine....

Archived