Premed 101 Forums

Where will I be in 10 years?

Guest Ollie

Guest Ollie

Hi folks,

I'm interviewing at UofT on friday, and I'm anticipating the "where do you see yourself in 10 years" question. While I would be happy to go to UofT, I will definitely want to return to BC either for or after my residency. The main reason for this would be because my family is here. Do you think it looks bad to say that I would leave the province that I trained in? Or does UofT expect this since they don't have OOP restrictions? I know that I am way overthinking this, but I know that it is a concern when a province puts money into training someone, and then they leave.

Guest Ian Wong

I don't think it would be beneficial nor necessary to go into that level of detail. I think you'd be better off exploring things like large city practice vs medium city practice vs rural practice, or private practice vs research career, or perhaps talking about which areas and specialties in medicine you've had exposure to and could perhaps see yourself in. Essentially, how exactly do you see yourself contributing back into this medical system if we decide to train you.

I doubt that your interviewer is going to discount you simply because you have goals of working in a different province, but you never know.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ticket

Just to add to Ian's comment,

When asked that question I did highlight my career aspirations, but I was also sure to include personal effects - like, I hope to have hiked in the Yukon mountains by then, and visited Europe at least once. The answer proved to aid in getting me offers of admission.

Interviewers like it when you add a personal touch, or something original to your answer that they haven't heard a million times each day!

Archived