Premed 101 Forums

premed book list

Guest Ollie

Guest Ollie

Hi folks,

Since I had written off getting an interview this year, I hadn't put much thought into preparing for one. Now a have a couple of weeks to prepare for my UofT interview, and I am in a slight panic. Anyways, I remember quite a while back someone posting a link to a website with a huge searchable list of books for premeds. Does anyone know that website or have any books to recommend (on any topic, preparing for interview, health care system, anything that you found helpful). I already have "Doing Right" by Hebert, and "Better Medicine" by Gratzer

Thanks!

Guest mydream88

that's a start Ollie!

besides books (which tend to take longer to read then newspapers and you have time but not tooooooo much time 8o ) I would perhaps focus as well on newspaper headlines and hot new in health and the world in general. those two books that you mentioned reading sound great to me ;) as prep material.

that should be adequate.

also, remember to go over your CV, entrance essay, etc. because you will probably be asked about those activities if it's an open file interview.

good luck :D

mydream88

Guest chemgirl

congratulations on the interview Ollie!

I just wanted to add that I would suggest reading the executive summary of the Romanow report, I found that helpful knowledge in my interview!

Good luck!

Guest mydream88

excellent point chemgirl

I also printed off the PMs throne speach and leafed through government websites and speeches from there.

mydream88:)

Guest 15Sacha

Here's the link to some premed books: www.bestpremed.com/library.php

If you are pressed for time, only read the first chapter of doing right and you can also skim through by reading only the scenarios and the boxes (thats what I did). But, the first chapter gives you a good summary of how to tackle ethical questions.

I read Code Blue, so i could get an overal picture of the problems in the health care system. You can browse through and pick chapters that you feel are relevant. I liked it a lot. As the others were saying, the newspaper is the way to go. However, I was asked the most about my sketch. I also got questions about reform for health care and an ethical dillemma about a recent news story.

Oh one more thing......relax for the interview. The day before, it is a good idea to go see a movie and take it easy because stress shows. Good Luck and I hope you do well. Oh, one more thing....don't forget to think about your "special talent". It might come up in the interview.

Archived